Little Lake Creek Wilderness

Little Lake Creek Wilderness is a 7.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Montgomery, TX that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from September until May.

First half of trail is open, last half has lots of brush and cat claw so look out. Some areas it's hard to see the trail but still a fun hike!

Beautiful trail that is well maintained and well marked. The undergrowth was high on some areas that blocked the view, but still beautiful. There are several creeks that run through the area that my dog used for water but they were stagnant. I am sure during a wetter season you could resupply your water. I spent the night listening to the wind rush through the young pines.

Little Lake Creek Trail is inundated (completely) in several areas where the trail it is nearest Lake Paula (broadly between 30.503331°, -95.663924° and 30.488726, -95.661501). Water is only 6-12" deep, but expect to get soaked and extremely muddy. I hit the worst section right in the middle of a 13 mile loop hike (starting/ending at TH3), which made the last half of the hike a bit more interesting. Hope it dries out soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Started at trailhead 4 with the intentions of taking the loop. Ended up coming out at trailhead 1. Wish I knew how far we went. We started at just before 11am and came out just after 5pm. For the most part the trail was light and airy. Saw some really beautiful scenery. There was a spot about 3 miles or so before the end where this last bad storm had knocked several trees down in one area and the trail had completely disappeared. It was a little unnerving but we made our way through a considerable amount of rough thicket back to the trail. Overall out was a wonderful experience. Saw three other couples along the way which I thought was just enough to keep it from being totally isolated. I would take this trek again but would prefer to end up in the right parking lot next time.

12/5/14 - Hiked the Southeast section from trailhead #4 to Sand Branch than North on the LSHT to trailhead #2 - Go to lonestartrail.org for the maps and it makes the trail a breeze.

It was warm, around the high 70's for the first day out so that was not so fun it being December but that was ok. Trail conditions were overall very good if you understand you are in a wilderness environment where people don't patrol the grounds for your hiking pleasure (they kinda do but its only once or twice a year.)

Stayed at the Pole Creek campsite on the first night it is very well kept and included a map book and register book in a mailbox at the fire ring. Ground was flat room for tents and places for hammocks.

Headed south than north 5 miles around the South Wilderness Loop Trail and camped at the pond at Sand Branch and South Wilderness and it was AWESOME! Frogs croaking sky out low in the high 40's it was great. There is a stream about half a mile south from the trail intersection that has filterable water (at least in December) so we could refill our water supplies as well.

Hiked north the next day on Sand Branch Trail to the LSHT and north again to TH#2!

Trail is flatish; there are gullys and creeks all throughout the trail that if your gear is to heavy you will not be liking life that much but if prepared and in relative shape it is a good little section of trail and I will hike the remainder of the South Wilderness Loop Trail when I can.

~21 mile hike. Started at Trailhead 1. Little Lake Creek Loop to just beyond M11, then Pole Creek Trail to LSHT thru the Little Lake Creek Wilderness area, and ~6+ miles back to Trailhead 1. Seven hours to the minute, with no breaks. Not that I'm some super stud, but I was fighting darkness and had to keep moving. Did the last 3 miles in total darkness using my cell phone light. Really bad planning. Felt like Blair With Project. Anyway, long day with serious blisters. The trail itself was dry, dusty, with really nothing of interest. I would not do it again. Kept waiting for someplace interesting to take some pictures, never did. Except for mile one, I saw no one for 20 miles. A bit eerie by yourself, especially after the sun goes down. Fairly well marked after you get the hang of how they do it, which saved my ass the last three miles. Cell phone coverage was spotty with T-Mobile, don't expect 4G.

Little Lake Creek Loop to LSHT...

Nonono

had a rad time here and the neture center was awesome! cant wait to bring my kids next time!

Nice to get away from the crowds, but the trail itself was pretty uninspiring (and, predictably, blazing hot).

Great hike. I loved the Palmettos and only saw 2 people the whole day.