Inks Lake State Park Trail

Inks Lake State Park Trail is a 4.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burnet, TX that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Burnet, TX: Travel 9 miles west on State Highway 29 to Park Road 4. Go south 3 miles to the park headquarters.

Great scenery but the trails weren't marked very well

Highly recommend this trail.
Hiking among such beauty is so awesome.

Lots of trails to do here! Make sure to wear your sunscreen. Not too much shade for most of the trail we went on.

Beautiful moderate difficult trail. Walked the exterior. Most definitely plan to come back

Great trail. Walked the exterior. Moderate difficulty. Definitely not for running or biking. Very rocky and hilly.

Not much of a hiking trail. More like a walking path.

Very fun! Be careful for snakes!

My first trail run.

I went to inks lake state park for a scenic run but there was no way you could run on the green trail. It was a beautiful hike though. I took my yellow lab with me and the trail was very narrow in places. I would have liked some signs along the trails as to where to go. We were able to stay on the main trail for most of it but there are a lot of off shoots and we ended up off the main trail and we're not able to find the area I was looking for which was the pecan flats. All in all I had a great time. The scenery was beautiful.

There's camping here, cabins for rent, as well of tons of people fishing along the lake. Very pretty in spring when the wild flowers are blooming.

We took the Pecan Flats Trail today from the park headquarters. It's a very nice trail. The terrain is on the rocky side and where dirt could be found it was mud, lol. From what we could see on the trail the primitive camping sites along this route are incredibly secluded and peaceful. I'd love to go back and camp there. But you'll see a lot of bluebonnets here! The whole park is great. I can't wait to go back!

Great trail for hiking. Like stated, it's not for running. For the most part, the trail doesn't get busy. Most people go here to swim and camp. If you want a weekend of camping, swimming and hiking, I highly recommend this park.

Some pretty views of Inks Lake and complete solitude for most of the trail were positives, but the unbearable heat of Texas in August was a big negative.. It took me 3-3/4 hours to hike the outer loop: Green trail to Red to Yellow back to Green. I'd say it was about 7 miles. I don't know the exact length. It had some ups and downs, which qualifies for elevation gain in Texas, but nothing too challenging.

If you hike this entire loop, bring 4 liters of water (1/hour) and some clean clothes to change into, because you're going to want to dive into the lake when you're done. If you hike another time of year, i.e., when it's not 100+ degrees, adjust accordingly.

That dip in the lake was a fantastic way to end the day though. You'll definitely need it.

Beautiful park, TONS to do. The hiking trails were so spectacular I couldn't stop ooing and ahhing over the diverse terrain. One moment you're deep in the woods, and the next, you are standing atop a beautiful elevation, looking down at lakes and breathtaking rock formations. The limited use cabins are very nice and super clean, there were families EVERYWHERE, the staff in all of the shops and park headquarters were so friendly and helpful, and we had a blast taking out one of the rented canoes. We went when it was cold outside, so we couldn't swim, but we still managed to stay extremely busy the 3 days we were there. Longhorn caverns are right up the road, and that is something you really don't want to miss. Canyon of the Eagles is also nearby, and though we didn't have time to visit, we heard great things about it. Enchanted Rock is also somewhat close (45 min-1 hr away) and it is also worth visiting. I have lived in Texas all my life, and Inks Lake is a beautiful and unique treasure unlike any other I have visited in this great state so far.

Great park! Been coming here since I was a kid and got a chance to rediscover it on an off week just after the normal TX spring break week. We felt like we had the place to ourselves.

Beautiful winter day hike. No rattlesnakes to worry about in winter as these trails go through very rocky outcroppings. Trails could use some trimming and better trail signs, but still a very trail with some great views! Hiking boots may help some navigate the rocks and boulders better.

Really enjoyed this beautiful hike. Takes you by the lake and at the top of a couple cliffs. Huge rocks all around! Wildlife is very abundant. Would go again in a heartbeat.