Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop

Haynes Ridge and Upper Canyon Trail Loop is a 6.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Quitaque, TX that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

A great trail to go and climb onto Haynes Ridge and hike out to the scenic overlook. The major hurdle is the climb about halfway through from the canyon onto the ridge. The North Prong is less strenuous than the South Prong.

I'm

Did the Lower and most of the Upper Canyon Trails. We were there after some late spring rains so the foliage and desert flowers were in full display. Was practically lush and a great reminder of just how adaptable desert plants are. The green of the trees and the deep red canyons made for beautiful contrasts. Will definitely be going back!

Great experience with my grown son. Able to spend time together in nature. God lives in the fern cave area. "Be still and know that I'm God". Sit under the ferns and relax with your eyes closed and all your worries just float away. Some places on the trail are a little confusing on which way to go so be careful. If you get aways down a trail and it suddenly drops off then turn around and go back. Other than that very good trails and most of the time just when you start to think you went the wrong way you see a marker that confirms your on the right trail. There's just enough challenge at the top of the mountain to make it fun and challenging but not so much that you feel insecure. Just don't forget to take enough water. Start out with a heavy pack. It'll be a lot lighter at the end once you drink.

Awesome trail! I hiked the upper and lower canyon. Take your camera!

We had a great trip to this park. We hiked the north prong to south prong primitively site on the first night. The second night we hiked the Haynes ridge. The only negative thing I have to say about this park is that the trails are not marked well. My GF and I walked off the trail a few times. Other than that, I had a great time here. It's a scenic park with lots of great views!! I recommend it!!

Great canyon hikes.

Desert scenery is a welcome change for a boy from Missouri. Overall an easy hike. It did get steep past Fern falls and the descent was very steep and washed out descending Haynes Ridge. highly recommend.

Great trail, beautiful scenery and challenging elevations at some points. I loved it. It's probably not the best trail to bring your dog or pet on however. I had my 2 dogs who hike with me all the time, and though they did very well through the climbing and descent and most of the trail, they were worn out by the back 2 miles which is very arid and under the direct sunlight was extremely hot. I would like to go back in the future without them so I can do the whole trail system.

Great hike in a great park. The trip up the north prong presented wonderful views of the canyon. The trek up to the Fern Cave was fairly smooth. After a short break we continued up to the Haynes Ridge. We got a little off track here and had to free style back to the trial. The hike along Haynes Ridge was very nice with great vistas of both north and south prong. The view from Haynes Ridge Overlook is fantastic. This is where things got a little bit challenging. The hike down from the Haynes Ridge overlook is very steep with lots of loose rock. Take your time and watch your footing. All in all a great trek with rewarding surroundings. Take bug spray, the biting flies were hungry.

Bring plenty of water but awesome hike :)

Hiked Eagle Point Trail, really enjoyed the hike if you start from the trail access near the little red tent campsite you'll come to a bench within a hundred yards, beneath the bench is what that park calls a natural tunnel, the trail is "the bridge", take your time and explore the area it's well worth it and very easy to miss! I took my dog on the hike, he loved it. This trail was great for the high winds for the day which we 20+ mph, a lot of the trail drops between canyon walls.

My boyfriend rode his bicycle on the wild horse trail and connected with the canyon rim trail then took the road back to where he had parked, he said it was challenging aa there is a lot of horse traffic, he also said there were some steep hills on the trails.

It was warm, about 90 degrees, take water and enjoy yourself!

I completed the loop of trails A, C, and D which is the upper trail and the canyon loop trail which takes you to a parking area where you can access the road to return to the trail head for the upper trail. The first mile of part A is very easy and wide with some creek crossings, approximately a quarter mile after you pass the primitive camping site the trail suddenly becomes very challenging as there is a steep climb, somehow I lost site of the trail and spent a long time trying to find it. The trail remains relatively challenging until you reach Fern Cave. From there you're on trail C which is wide and relatively relaxing. At the end of trail C you have the option to take the lower trail or return to the parking area, I enjoyed the hike to the parking area it had some good climbs and very nice views. About 90 degrees at the end of March so make sure you are prepared.

This is a truly wonderful trail that is falling apart due to lack of love.

There is no water on the trail at all. The maps that state park puts out shows water stations. They are not maintained. A call to the park will result in a pleasant conversation telling you that they simply haven't taken the time to update the maps and website to reflect the fact that they no longer serve ANY of the water station shown on the map.

The last known shuttle driver to take you to a trial head so you don't have to do an out and back has gone out of business. The same pleasant conversational with the park headquarters revealed that they have no idea if anyone will replace the last shuttle service.

All in all: A wonderful piece of land. Hike it not before the ending completely dries up with the lack of interest.

Did this hike in March. Very nice hike. Took the cutoff to the Haynes Ridge Overlook Trail at the mid-point of the hike. Spectacular views. Coming down from Haynes Ridge close to the North Prong Primitive Camping Area is very steep. Steps cut out of the rock steep. Other than the climb to Haynes Ridge a fairly flat and easy hike. Not much shade, so glad we did in the spring.

I loved this place! my wife and I went during the warmer winter days and the temperatures were perfect. This is a lesser traveled park and the primitive camping sites were desolate. Great place to camp and great views of the red rock canyons.