Granger Lake - Taylor Park Trail

DIFFICULTY 3 reviews

Granger Lake - Taylor Park Trail is located near Taylor, TX. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

Cool little trail. I have to say little because I only got to bike about 2 miles on it and then it got overwhelmingly muddy. Trail was great for a beginner and great for an intermediate like myself. I have to warn you, if you don't have enough momentum, you'll have to dismount a few times to walk the bike up a hill or two. Beautiful cactus patches everywhere! Overall great trail, just don't go when it's wet outside! :)

My 7 year old son and I hiked the east trail today. It was a beautiful overcast day for hiking, and it was the day after Christmas so we had the trail all to ourselves. There are 3 bridges on this, two of which are historic and have informational plaques. There is Friendship Bridge and Hoxie Bridge (ghost bridge). They are historic iron truss bridges with wooden planks. Hoxie was under construction and looked to be about half complete. The original starting point for this trail is at Taylor Park, but the trail road and trailhead was closed. We accessed the other end of the trail from CR 496. This is a great short little hike that was easy in difficulty, about 2.4 miles, and took about 2.5 hours with a 7 year old. I highly recommend.

Comanche Bluff Trail. This trail is fantastic. I did it first weekend in October, and started at the East trailhead, there are restrooms located here. The park was closed except for hikers and bikes and the primitive campsite.
The first you see is the majestic old bridge which is a great sunrise photo opportunity. After this you are completely engulfed in trees and heavy woods. It offered a few key views of the lake.
The second trailhead also has restrooms about a mile in. You have to jump the trail here and start again on the other side of the parking lot. After this stop, you are now in more open fields. The trail is easy to see in daylight, but since the park is officially closed, the trail isn't as well kept up in sections so I definitely wouldn't walk in the dark. It's not bad, it's just hard to see the path with the ground cover at times.
Then you get back into the trees and before you know it, you are at the primitive campsite and there are picnic tables and some firepits. Here you also have the opportunity to get in the slow moving river. There are a few ropes in the trees to swing and jump in the water too.

This trail is a definite do again. It was quiet, very few people (only saw three groups of people and one set was a search and rescue team practicing with their dogs - so cool). Take extra socks, mine were damp from the ground cover we went through, and there are a couple of low crossings that depending on the lake level, you may have to go through a bit of water. And some areas were hilly and rocky but nothing drastic.