Gilbert's Trail (The Southside)

Gilbert's Trail (The Southside) is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

In response to another review....yes there are a bunch of loose rocks...welcome to the desert! Yes I wish we had trails that were smooth with some Aspen trees but being in El Paso we adjust to what is available. This trail was not too bad. In fact it was my favorite trail to mountain bike so far in El Paso. Nice twists and turns. Only a few difficult areas where I had to walk my bike. But there were some nice, speedy areas.

great walk with the dogs!

I hiked part of this about 10 years ago, never knew its name. It is a nice area.

I was not a fan of this trail for biking. First, the app's driving directions leads you to a newly installed gate for a private new development. We didn't know the area to try to find another entrance so we just parked down the street and hopped the small brick wall. The trail itself is full of loose rocks that slip and slide everywhere, making biking for even someone on an intermediate level very frustrating. It'd be best left to advanced bikers or better yet, for hiking. It's a good long walk with lots of hills through vicious thorn bushes and cactus. We became so annoyed with fighting the rocks that we ended up stashing our bikes near the trail and hiked up to the top one of the mountains. At least the scenery was very pretty at the top, especially as the sun set.

This is an excellent trail! For an avid mountain biker like myself I find it rather enjoyable. Some small portions can be a little difficult for the unexperienced biker. It's in snake country, so come prepared with a first aid kit.