Thousand Steps Trail

Thousand Steps Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike from N. Stanton St to the Wyler Aerial Tramway and Ranger Peak. From the parking area, climb the road to the water tank. Follow the trail east from the tank and up hill. The trail will turn right around the arroyo, then right again and downhill. The trail will continue on the road around a left curve. DO NOT take the trail going uphill to the poles. At a 4 way intersection at 0.8 miles look for a narrow trail on the left that proceeds straight up the spur to a rock house far up the spur. Follow that trail up to the rock house. At the rock house, go to the left around the rock house, then find the trail continuing up the spur. At 1.45 miles you come to a fork joining the Wyler Ridgeline Trail #1. Take the fork right to get to the tramway. Return via reverse route.

Awesome trail. Challenging.

Pretty easy little hike/run. Got to the very top in about my 45 mins. Lots of loose rock to jack an ankle up so watch your step.

steep but worth the trip bring lots of water

Done this trail numerous times it's easy and close to home. Definitely a little harder as you get to the steps. Make sure you have plenty of time to come back down. Last time we went out too late took us 2 hours to get to the top (with my dog and friends) and we realized it was going to be too dark by the time we got down so we convinced the Rangers to let us take the tram down with my dog--which isn't allowed for some reason but they let us! Take a lot of water! And again long socks or pants are best

It was pretty fun when I did it in the snow ☃❄️

Fun trail, nice views

3rd trail completed on 5/10/14! So proud of myself and the people that are out there joining me on these trails. the encouragement and motivation they give me is the best. Don't have much time right now to write about it but it was amazing! I look forward to this weekend's hike!

This was a pretty tough hike but equally pleasant with challenging areas, staircase type paths and beautiful surrounding views of the city. My "map my hike" app recorded 5.19 miles and it took me and my friends almost 3 hours to complete. There are plenty of loose rocks on the trail so you need to be careful with your footing; then there are areas where the trail is clear and beautiful but definitely a steady challenge throughout the entire trail. Some minimal rock climbing is involved near the top but nothing that is too bad. Definitely worth the challenge. When we got to the tramway it was closed but we were able to get in through the open gate and visit in the tramway tourist area. The hike down is much faster and enjoyable. One more successful hike.

A nice trail for a little close-to-home adventure.

This is a nice hike. It starts out with a modest climb but gets a little tricky and much steeper just below the first old eletrician hut. It also has nice views of the city and surrounding mountains. It did not take me 3 hours however. It's more like 2-2 1/2 depending on your experience level. I'm no expert and it took me 2hr 20min. That's was with a stop at the Aerial Tramway gift shop. It's worth the hike. watch out for the flying red ants just below the tram.