Mundys Gap

Mundys Gap is a 4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike to the Mundys Gap overlook Follow the main trail. At 0.58 miles there is a junction. Follow the main trail left. At 1.22 miles there is a wooden bridge. At 1.68 miles you arrive at Mundys Gap.

It was really nice. if you start from the northeast, you can get to the west side. start early in the morning because in the afternoon the sun can really get you.

Short trail but very rocky. We kept going past the trail and came down Mundy's Gap.

I would definitely take the Agave trail up to where Cottonwood splits from the Mundy's Gap trail. This way you avoid the rocks and it's nicer view. When you get to the Cottonwoods, you may be able to continue up either to Mundy's Gap or North Franklin peak.

Great but too icy to reach Franklin peak

The trail is rocky at the beginning which makes it difficult to enjoy the scenery.

The trail starts out very rocky which, maybe uncomfortable to those with weak ankles. Despite this, the trail possesses many great views and a variety of wildlife. Careful however, I spotted a rattlesnake in the area given the fact that the trail is full of crevices and holes for them to hide into.

The hike itself is a nice, moderate workout but the constantly shifting rocks on the path made this a real ankle and knee killer. I would recommend anyone who's not especially light on their feet (like myself) to bring walking sticks to keep you balanced when the rocks turn under your feet.

beautiful! !!

Just took my visiting friend on this hike, it was memorable. The walk itself kept us breathing heavy but the pulse increased as we came across the first tarantula, the second then finally the very angry rattler just as we were starting to descend down toward the tin mines. Despite the drama, it is a trail that I'll likely do again and possibly even run it someday.
After today's incident with the snake, I would highly advise against letting your dogs be on a leash longer than 6ft or no leash at all, it was a close call. We were within 2ft of the snake before it alerted us.

Its just a tree, the views aren't that great but it is a quick little work out. Just because the trail says Cottonwood Spring doesn't mean theres an actual spring there... if you want to see springs go to the Organ Mountains in Las Cruces...

Great trail if you start from Tom Mays side. Walking on rocks for a few stretches on this path can be a really good work out for your legs but make sure you wear shoes with good bottom support and cushion, you can also twist your ankle pretty easily so watch out for the rocky trails. Other than that, once you reach mid point and start the down hill hike towards tin mines you'll catch breath taking views and tons of butterflies and plants that you don't normally see in city limits. this trail is best on a cloudy day and when its not to hot due to the lack of shade. Take lots of water and stay on the trail. Overall on a scale of 1-10 for difficulty I rate this trail a 4 mainly because of the conditioning side to this trail.

Hiked this trail a few months ago, it's the main route heading to the ridge line at the park. Several other trails are accessible from Mundy's Gap making it well traveled. Despite the areas of washout over the years, the Texas State Park employees have done a tremendous job repairing different sections of the trail. Other than the Ron Coleman trail, (which is much more difficult) this is the best trail in the Franklin Mountains to get impressive views.

I run the Franklin trails often but never tried Mundy's Gap until yesterday. Like many mountain trails, it's pretty tough for an out and back run since it is constantly going up, but you certainly earn the downhill! I have not been running much lately, so I ended up running the first 3.5 miles starting at my car at Chuck Heinrich and hiking the last mile and a half up. The views are absolutely beautiful and of course the run down was a lot more manageable. I think next time, we'll start earlier (it was already hot by 8 am) and rather than take the out and back, park a car on the other side of the mountain and run over to the west side. The rocky trail was expected, but there were a few smooth spots that allowed me to run without thinking much about footing.

This is a pretty cool trail that leads to a little oasis in the desert. The hike itself is short in time but still gives you a good workout. From the beginning and throughout the trail, the path is rocky with red Franklin rocks that are like 6 inches in diameter, and this makes for a difficult hike having to constantly watch where you will step next. The incline isn't too difficult but the views are pretty spectacular and the reward is great once you get to the actual cottonwood area with the spring. Overall, nice short hike.

I completed my second trail, being this one. Enjoyed it completely, but even though it was not harder than the first one, it was still a challenge. Pleasant and enjoyable. Recommend it highly.

The actual spring area is a nice, and the hike overall isn't very long. Right at the sign where the trail splits you will see nothing but large loose rock heading up toward the spring. I was told by a fellow hiker that it was the result of flood rains from several years ago that washed out the trail. Keep to the left of the rocks and you will see a faint path to make the climb easier.

Finally decided to come out and check off my hiking list the Mundys Gap Trail. I had been looking forward to it for a while now. I really enjoyed this hike this past weekend. Came out early and according to my mapmyhike app, it took me 1:33 hours and it was 4.5 miles long. The trail started out very rocky, not good for the ankles but fun and intricate to keep you on your toes, then it smooths out to a nice little nature walk full of great views, little animals and definitely a long, steep and steady hike. I never saw the trail level out for long so you get a great work out, and then sooner than I anticipated we reached the top. WOW. It was amazing up there. There are 2 little sets of benches you can sit on and just take in the breathtaking views. We encountered a couple of hikers, so you can tell this is a well-known trail. The hike down is definitely more fun, but if you have time there are trails up there that you can continue, either up or down the other side of the mountain. Overall, a great hike!