Indian Peak Trail

Indian Peak Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike to a high mountain lookout point. Follow the main trail. At 0.58 miles there is a junction. Follow the main trail left. At 1.22 miles there is a wooden bridge. At 1.68 miles you arrive at Mundys Gap. Continue down the east side to the next junction at 2.2 miles. The sign shows the proper direction. Follow the trail to the right. From this point follow the trail to the saddle at 2.87 miles. At the saddle, turn left toward Indian Peak, and buswack your way to the peak. It is very steep, but mostly good footing the last 1000 feet. NOTE: Dogs have made this hike, but there is much loose rock on the trail.

After putting this hike off for so long I finally decided to live a little and do it and I'm glad I did. I have been all up and down these mountains the 1 1/2 I have lived here and I will admit this ranks in my top 5 fun hikes. There's really not a path for it so you have to blaze your own trial it's cool :D

Most of this trail is actually Mundy's Gap starting at the Cottonwood trailhead on the west side. Shortly after you take a sharp right on the trail and head up towards North Franklin Mountain you'll approach an open area and a sign stating that you've reached Castner Range. The peak is just beyond there. I've met some really nice people and shared some good stories along these routes, it's always well worth the trip.

This was a nice long hike. Not much challenge to it and the trail was pretty clear. I saw a lot more vegetation and wildlife on this hike compared to Thousand steps yesterday. Watch out for the horse bombs! I'm not sure who is rating the distance and times of these trails here. This one did not seem like 6.5 miles. It also took me just under 4 hours. Take that for what it's worth.