Franklin Mountains Ridgeline Hike

Franklin Mountains Ridgeline Hike is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near El Paso, TX that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from September until May.

Hike from N. Stanton St to Trans-Mountain Rd along the Franklin Mountains ridge. NOTE: This hike begins with the Trans-Franklin Mountains South Trail and ends at the Ron Coleman Trail. Study those hikes for information on that part of the trail. At 2.0 miles on the Trans-Franklin South Trail you reach the ridge. When that trail curves right and down look for a dim trail that goes straight along the bluff. At 2.25 miles turn left and climb the arroyo to the ridge. Then go right and up. Follow the dim trail until you reach the TV towers at 2.7 miles. Go left and follow the fence around. DO NOT TRESSPASS, VIDEO CAMERAS! At 2.9 miles begin bushwhacking north on the ridgeline. You will encounter a knife-edge ridge at about 3.4 miles. Go right and down, then back up and left to bypass it. At 3.8 miles you reach the Govt Radio Site. Don't touch, just hike through. The hike gets easier from this point. At 5.6 miles you reach the junction of the Ron Coleman Trail. Continue North. DANGER - read the disclaimer. THIS HIKE IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS!

Amazing views!!! Very well marked.

My wife and I took our two dogs to the light on the top of the mountain. Luckily I only had to carry one of them back down.

I was dropped off at Transmountain Rd. trailhead and made it to Kern area ( Robinson and Piedmont) in about 6 hours via the ridgline. I had my dog with me and it made some of the northern sections that require mild climbing a bit difficult. I will not bring a dog if I do this trail again. Also, those hiking this trail should keep in mind that the antenna station on the ridge west-south west ( 3148'53.24"N 10629'21.70"W) of the large Cemex mine is gated and there is no friendly trails that bypass this area (that I am aware of / please post if you are aware of a good solution). Overall the trail is very cool. Ridgelines make for nice routes.

Can be tough going at times. Nice hike that is close to town. Great views of El Paso and on clear days you can see into Old and New Mexico.