Fairfield Lake State Park Trails

Fairfield Lake State Park Trails is a 5.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Fairfield, TX that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking and walking.

Directions from Fairfield, TX: Travel 6 miles northeast off FM 2570 on FM 3285

Pro tip: you don't have to enter the park, like I did, to hike this trail. The trail head is down the second last driveway on your left as you approach the park entrance.

I agree with the other review, the scenery isn't terribly exciting but par for the course in this part of the country. I wouldn't recommend you go out of your way to hike this trail.

We hiked the 3-mile trail to the primitive campsite for a one-night stay. The park was not overly busy, and we just about had the primitive area all to ourselves, only seeing 1 other camper out there. The solitude and remoteness was nice but the area is close to the park boundary and we could hear cows mooing (not too big a deal) and a generator or some sort of pump noise breaking the wonderful natural forest sounds every few hours, staying on for about an hour each time. Very annoying. Some of the sites have fire rings and poles for hanging trash, etc. and there are plenty to choose from. We were cautioned about wild pigs in the area but didn't see or hear any except for two in a cage trap the park had set up along the trail. We saw no other wildlife (well, maybe a mouse). Overall the trail is ok, mostly flat, with a few overgrown spots, but nothing too bad. There are multiple stream crossings but all except one have bridges over them, and the one that didn't wasn't that hard to cross. There is also a working toilet out there - not a compost toilet, a real, flushable one. Plus a faucet. Not exactly backcountry, but I guess it's nice for when you don't feel like really "roughing it." The lake is scenic but you don't have a good view of it from the primitive site; although to be fair we didn't hike all the way around the loop and look at all the sites. We did have a nice picnic by the lake in the day use area on the way out, though. Good for the solitude but the proximity to border noise and ho-hum scenery (well, this is east Texas after all) makes me rate this park only 2 stars. Lots of better options out there - it's a big state.