Emory Peak Trail

Emory Peak Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Terlinguo, TX that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking and walking.

This is a roundtrip hike to the highest point in Big Bend National Park (7,832'). The last 25 feet require a scramble up a sheer rock wall, but your reward is the ultimate panoramic view! From the Basin Trailhead take the Pinnacles trail for 3.5 miles. At this point, the one mile trail to the summit cuts off and heads upward. For fantastic views and solitude, this trail is hard to beat! Most hikers require approximately 5-6 hours for the roundtrip journey.

Loved the hike and the views from the top. Did you see the boot? Going to hike this again. This will be the last leg of a monthly hike at 11 different state parks in Texas.

Very beautiful and moderately challenging path. At the very top there is a scramble on a lot of rocks with have cliff faces but it was amazing! The view is unlike any other.

Nice hike, let's go again!

Moderate grade and lovely scenery throughout. The Peak false summits once - wonderful Texas trail. A bit of fun scrambling at the end for the adventurous soul.

This is a tough hike, with a lot of elevation gain and exposed, windy paths. The distance straight to the peak and back to the Chisos Basin is about 10 miles. The difficulty is worth it! The forest high in the Chisos Mountains is beautiful and wildly different than the desert of the park's floor. There are colorful birds and other animals around. The peak itself requires a scramble (not too difficult, but put your fear of heights aside!) and you want to scramble up the RIGHT pile at the end of the trail. The views are worth the trouble!

Great trail. Incredible 360-degree views. Highly recommended. Bring extra water during hot summer days.

Climbed during peregrine falcon nesting season, the birds zooming by at the top of the mountain was equal parts awesome and terrifying. Hike is mostly an equal mix of stairs and flat/slight incline walking, until the summit which is maybe 50 feet of boulders.

I spent hours on top just soaking it in, great view, well worth the hike.
Hike was not that hard, many switchbacks but again pay off is huge, I went early morning and found the fog off the mountains perfect!!

I agree with all the other reviews. It's a must-hike trail. We save this one for last.

I'm a big fan of mountain trails, and this is one of my favorite. It does require some climbing, but the view from the summit is unforgettable.

This spur off the main trail is rigorous with some bouldering to get to the summit, but the reward is worth the effort. 360 degree views are priceless.

If you're in Texas you can't miss out on this hike (Pinnacles). We went in March and while the temps were in the mid eighties during the day, this trail is very breezy so the temperature was perfect.

This was only my second hike ever, my first having been a short one on a mostly paved trail. My companions were also new to this and out of shape so take your time and enjoy the scenery. There are numerous views on the way up so don't feel guilty about taking breaks. We definitely rushed this one and our bodies hated us for it later!

The trail was in very good condition but the last stretch to the peak was pretty scary for me. The path changes from dirt to rock, and there are so many loose rocks it's easy to slip! If you get shaky about heights, definitely take trekking poles or a walking stick for the trip back down the peak. After that it's smooth sailing back down and we cut our time in half.

I wouldn't hesitate to take on the Chisos again. Amazing views. Check the panoramas I uploaded to see what it looks like at the very top. :)

PS - We got cell phone reception on top so if you're enjoying a lunch break at the peak take the time to call or Skype loved ones. My parents definitely appreciated it.

Great views. The additional hike to empry peak is optional. There are bear boxes and an area to leave gear for the additional hike up to the peak and a compost toilet at the junction before the very very challenging climb to the top. 7800+ ft elevation. After the junction point the trail is downhill and fun. The trek up is hard but gradual in its climb.

A trial all who visit Big Bend seem to want to do. Pinnacles is a steep hike, although not a hard hike.