Elm Fork Trail

Elm Fork Trail is a 3.5 mile out and back trail located near Denton, TX and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Overall: Trail was flat and uneventful. First 1/2 mile was relatively open and then became more wooded with a canopy offering decent shade. Two creek crossings but easy to stay dry. Only crossed 3 other hikers during the 2 mile out and back.

Bad: Lots of graffiti and trash, especially at the trailhead. The trail continues beyond the bridge but the amount of garbage was not worth continuing so we turned back.

The trail was not difficult and easy to navigate.

Heidi and I hiked this. I have a inReach satellite system and from the horse lot on Old Alton Road to the underpass of highway 2450 (Village Pkwy) I showed 2.5 miles one way. Beautiful and close trail, I sprint up the hills to add cardio. Were walking this again today, I will update or add if I get a different mileage.

Wow, what an adventure! Filled with diverse terrains and people, we had a great time. We did end up getting lost and had to turn around and follow our original path back, I'm still not sure where we went wrong because nothing is labeled. It was definitely fun but tough because a lot of the path is filled with sand which is tough on my knees and ankles because of my arthritis. Not recommended for the elderly or small children unless you turn around pretty quick. We saw a lot of horses on the path and every person we ran into as friendly and would stop to say hello to us and our min pin.

One thing I want to add is there's quite a bit of trash (beer cans and red solo cups and graffiti) that made me uneasy.

It's fairly straightforward to make this a loop trail if you don't mind walking across the arm of Lake Lewisville on the 2499 bridge (nice wide sidewalk). I started from Old Alton bridge and reached 2499 in about 45 minutes. The trail is fairly wide and was dried out following recent rains. There is a stream crossing about half way that is in bad shape. Repairing it would make a great Eagle Scout project :-).

After scrambling up the bridge embankment I walked south across Lake Lewisville on 2499 and went through the tunnel at the south end to connect to the Hickory Creek / Pilot Knoll trail back to Old Alton. It was a nice 90 minutes, approx 3 mile loop early on a Saturday morning.

Muddy and flooded in some areas. Nice trail though.

not bad. About 30% shade. Trail seems to get flooded quite a bit and takes we eks to totally dry out.

My roommate and I love this trail and we just started hiking. In all it was pretty dry, with some muddy spots but there were small pathways leading around the extremely muddy spots. We saw simple wildlife like birds and squirrels, the real fun is seeing the beautiful pastures lining the sides of the woods, we met some owned horses and they were as sweet and as beautiful as can imagine. We walked the trail for about 3 hours and ended up on the complete other side of argyle when it was time to find the car again. Will do again soon.

I started near Old Alton Bridge, the beginning of the trail was nice then it slowly turned into a muddy slip and slide. Another couple that was walking behind me carried on but I opted out. It looks like it could be promising when not wet. I will try again.

Only got to do the first mile or so of the trail before it went completely underwater. Looks promising given the location. We'll be back when thing dry out a little.

A nice hike, a good get-away. I agree with others in that it needs some TLC, I noticed trash and graffiti around the entrance and on the bridge. The trail is very close to roads and private properties. At the time, the water was still high, restricting access to the full trail. I will go again when it dries up a bit.

On 10/3/2015 I ran from Old Alton Bridge parking lot a little more than 5 miles east on this trail. This was my first time crossing under the bridge on FM 2499 since the lake had receded after the 2015 summer flooding. The whole area really needs some work, as one section behind a neighborhood was littered with trash from the flooding (plastic bottles, cans, other misc garbage.)

As I worked farther east and the trail came closer to the more affluent neighborhoods on the north side of the lake, the trail narrowed but seemed to be somewhat taken care of, although some sections were washed out/hard to find. One low-lying inlet was covered with driftwood, both large and small, and very hard to navigate - the trail was completely under a layer of debris.

Closer to Sycamore Bend park the trail was easy to follow due to some handmade signs placed by someone. Had they not been there I wouldn't have had any clue as to where I was going because the area was overgrown and washed out.

It seems there isn't a lot of traffic on this trail lately due to the recent housing developments, which is disappointing. It's a fun trail although it takes you into some backyards.

Nice getaway, we parked on Old Alton road and headed north. Walked 2 miles then looped back and south of the parking lot. This area just opened again from the flooding. Too much road noise on this part. The southern part is quieter. Nice leisurely Sunday morning walk.

Pretty good trail. Only was able to do 2 1/4 miles of it because a recent storm had washed everything out. Could use some TLC, as well; Graffiti was all over the place. But a good, scenic route non the less.

Great trail for being in such a high populated area. Will be coming back again soon. I found it to be the 12 mile given all the side trails it has in some parts. Went around 2:30pm and didn't see but a few horses on a farm.