Devil's Hall Trail

Devil's Hall Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Carlsbad, TX that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and camping and is accessible from March until November.

rock climbing

ok

loved it!

Other than climbing to the top of the peaks, I think this is the best trail in the park, Challenging, requires some boulder climbing in the wash, the kids had a good time, All it lacks is the big finish (No waterfall or gorgeous lake) Excels at adding a little more fun with a few slight climbing areas, could get hot if not started early enough, some shade but lots of sun too

I truly enjoy this trail the scenery and terrain changes several times. I've done it 3 times and would do it again

We were at Devil's Hall Trail the first week of November 2012. We enjoy the rocks, the arroyo and at this time of the year, the beautiful colors of the trees leaves. Walking on the natural rocks steps and see the hall is something that you can not forget. Easy and not to long is ideal to hike with the family, kids will have a lot of fun.

A fun, adventurous trail. You'll have to hike up a dry, boulder-filled creek bed to the Hiker's Staircase and Devil's Hall, where the natural rock makes an unusual amount of right angles. Cool sight.

Great easy hike

It is easy for the people used to hiking but it can get a bit challenging once you get to the river path where you need to go around boulders and climb a few of them. Overall, nice walk and view. My 8 year old son hiked it with a only a couple of breaks. Will do it again.

Great trail! Definetly a fun easy to moderate hike. If you are in semi decent shape, you will be able to complete it. First part of the trail is fairly flat before you have to go into the wash. From there you have to go over lots of rocks but nothing too dificult. Took us about 3 hours at a slow pace.

Great easy hike, saw a large rattle snake! Two hours total time!

This is a fun trail if you like hiking dry creek beds with large to medium sized boulders along the way. Lots of really interesting rock formations. And the hall at the end is pretty cool. With stone rock faces going straight up either side it makes a nice little wind tunnel / canyon. I was surprised to see so much varied vegetation in Texas. This can be a knee and ankle breaker if your not careful. Wear boots that have good ankle support.

This was my first hike in quite a while and I wasn't sure what to expect. I was surprised by the amount of shade provided and was glad to have it. 90 minutes in and 60 out. Great trail to hike for beginners or someone looking for an easy to moderate challenge.

Very nice hike. Like the previous reviews said, the first mile is on a nice trail. The second mile we had to pick our way through the wash to make it up. It was much more physically demanding than a regular smooth trail, which we enjoyed. Devils Hall was a nice find at the end of the wash. Saw mule deer on the way back.

Absolutely fantastic trail! starts of with a nice uphill hike and drops down into a wash. Once you get to the wash follow it left, takes you through some nice rocky obstacles. Nothing difficult, just enough to keep it interesting. It'll lead you directly into "Devil's Hall".

I hiked this trail last weekend on my first trip to the Guadalupe Mountains. One of the few areas I've encountered that's still beautiful even after being washed out. The first mile offers beautiful scenery all around and easy hiking while the second allows for some bouldering through the washed out canyon. Santiago isn't lying about the mountain lion warning. There are few access roads in the park and a lot of wilderness to the north...RIP mountain goat

My wife, two kids (9 and 4 years old) completed this in about 4 hours. It was a great hike through the wash and being able to do some bouldering. Luckily it was cloud covered for most of the day. On the way down we saw a goat that looked like a mountain lion got. It was completely gutted and all that was left was skin, bones and horns. Be very cautious of the animals in any area you go to.

This was the first slot canyon that I've hiked and thoroughly enjoyed it. I hiked it the day after doing Guadalupe Peak and El Capitan bushwhack. It was a great alternative after a long day with a lot of elevation. The trail was mostly flat and hiking in the canyon was a good repose from the direct sunlight when hiking peaks. I would suggest this hike to anyone who is in the area and doesn't have the time or physical shape to hike the peaks in the area. See the link for more details and photos of my hike.

I came in the early fall and it was fantastic. If you get a chance, go with a group during the Celebrate Our Mountains season, you'll get educated on the flora and fauna by a master naturalist and it is really fun. The views are awesome and the rock formation that forms the Devil's Hall is really interesting. It's not that hard of a hike so I would say most people with normal activity levels can do it. As always, bring plenty of water, take breaks if you need, and make sure you have some snacks. Enjoy!

Took this hike the morning after hiking to the peak, it was an absolutely awe inspiring sight to see once you get towards the end of the trail and into the actual hallway. The whole world seems topsy turvy when you get in due to the rocks not being level, everything is angled to the right and makes for an interesting hike up the stairway.