Cross Timbers Hiking Trail

Cross Timbers Hiking Trail is a 14.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gordonville, TX that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

14 Mile Point-to-Point Trail

The below review that says its $5 to go on the trails is incorrect. The fee is only if you want to park inside the marina's gated parking area. The trail itself is free and there is unsecured roadside parking.

Entry fee of $5 per person just to go on trails.

The trails are pretty, however if you veer away from the main trail to other, smaller trails you will get lost. It's very easy to get turned around. There are not enough signs marking the smaller trails and some have washed away due to major flooding last year. The main trail is the only one marked on this app, as long as you stay on it you'll be ok! If I visit this place again, I will remember to stick to the main trail!

Amazing place! Clean and very well signed all over the trail. We were going to do the whole way and back over the weekend but there are just so many beatiful scenic places that we stopped a few times and decided to camp in two different places near the Cedar Bayou Marina. We will definitelly go back to the other parts on the next weeks.

I started at the main trail head, at the state line. The first two miles of trail are tough with some steep climbs and descents (depending on direction of travel), I would not recommend that section to MTBs. The first section of trail lets out at Cedar Bayou, which is an RV campground, there aren't signs indicating where to proceed from there, however you should follow the road, in whichever direction you choose, there is another trail head just past the road gate, beyond the "cabins". Once on the trail you can go left for juniper point, or right for the lost trail. I took the lost trail loop which meets back at the found trail loop and the main trail. There are green and red arrow signs at ground level, these indicate bypasses that always meet back on the main trail, the red arrows are supposed to indicate a more difficult path while the green indicate a less difficult path. I completed the lost trail loop then returned to the main trail head at the state line, as that is where I left my vehicle, so I took the red bypasses out, and the green bypasses back.

Overall the sections of trail I traversed were in great condition, well marked (with the exception of the RV campground plopped in the middle of the trail). A little slick and muddy in some areas, more so on the first two miles.

Great getaway spot. The trail show signs of previous washout, but it's in really good shape now. I put in at Cedar Bayou and camped overnight at the small 4.5 mile camp. Someone built an awesome lean-to shelter there and it was a perfect place to enjoy the view. I did get off trail a little bit on the way up since there are a lot more side trails than I expected. I ended up doing an extra 1.3 miles and came across the lost loop by accident before getting back on the main trail. I recorded and uploaded the return track back to the marina which came in at 2 miles. Overall, much more challenging than I expected. The guy running the marina was super helpful and it's a nice fenced area to park if camping.

Hiked and camped at Eagle's roost. Nice trails and enjoyable time.

Great hike to eagles roost

Great hike in regards to its close proximity to DFW. Great place to test gear before a legit trip.

I did a day hike yesterday. Started at Juniper Point and went to Lost Loop and back. Trail is really maintained. There are parts where the trail is really slippery mainly the first half, when your high above the lake. When you come to the second camp the trail disappears for a few feet, when you find again you can go straight or turn right, go straight up the hill. Other than that had lots of fun. If the weather holds up this winter I will go back and start from the other end of the trail

Beautiful

Very nice trail, it's a bit tricky but I love it.

Recently did the entire trail from beginning to end to provide the definitive tracks for people to use for this trail. All other tracks that I've seen are inaccurate. The one's I've uploaded will get you from Juniper Point to Texoma Marina trail head without any issues. Next time I'll add locations within the tracks for camping sites, etc.

This trail is a great way to do a quick weekend backpacking trip if you live near Dallas/Fort Worth. I started around noon from Juniper Point and made it to a decent camping spot about 5 miles in by around 3:00. There is a surprising bit of up and down terrain considering this is Texas. Most of the good campsites also thankfully have good fire pits already constructed. I also had AT&T cell service the entire time (not that you should care, but nice in an absolute emergency).

One thing I would avoid is trying to do the Lost Loop. The northern part is mostly destroyed and/or covered in heavy brush. I lost the trail and ended up having to bushwhack south to find it again.

No permit needed, though you're supposed to register at the guard shack at Juniper Point east. There's also a trail book at the trailhead so bring a pencil.

Thanks to whoever maintains this trail - would be interested in helping out if needed!

8-30-15: Just to let people know not to give up on this trail. As of 8-30-15 there has been much improvement on the trail. I personally have re-blazed parts of the trail have fallen into disuse. New portions of the trail from Juniper point have been created to by-pass portions that have fallen into the lake. You won't have to worry about walking through underbrush to get to good portions of the trail. From Juniper point to Rock Creek Marina the trail is in very good shape now. Past Rock Creek Marina to the Paw Paw Point trail head (12 mile point) the trail is in need of debris and trash removal from the lake flooding during May/June of 2015. There are plans to remove the debris come late September/October time frame (volunteers appreciated).

The last 2 miles of the trail has been sorely underused, with many trail makers missing. As of 8-30-15 new blazes have been placed from the Paw Paw Creek trail head (my Lake Texoma Marina) for about one-half mile. More will be placed in the coming weeks so that the entire trail will be completed blazed and easier to follow. I personally would like to see more people begin their trek from the Paw Paw Creek trail head (end of the trail) to help make the trail more visible by constant wear. Also, the Paw Paw Creek trail head has a great grassy area for parking plenty of vehicles.

In the last month I've personally worked on portions of this trail, and have surveyed the entire trail, so I know the above statements to be true. On Facebook a group called the Cross Timbers & Lost Loop Trail Runs have people who are contributing to the maintenance of the trail. I walked the first almost 3 miles of the trail with them on 8-29-15 to survey the trail from Juniper Point. It is completely clear and easy to navigate. There is also a Facebook page for this trail where I make periodic posts keeping people updated on the trail improvements. By October of this year I plan to have updated tracks to upload to this and other trail sites so people will have the latest navigation tools and information.

The Good: The trail has some very scenic points and overlooks of Lake Texhoma, non-crowded and a nice escape from the city. There is plenty of camping nearby so for an extended stay could be a nice area to vacation while having the availability of hiking nearby. If you like outdoor photography, there are numerous spots along the trail to get unique, up close photos of the lake and other natural scenes.

The Bad and the Ugly: My friends and I hiked part of this trail today starting at the Juniper Point campground and working our way south/west, following the shoreline for the most part until reaching the Cedar Bayou area. The part of the trail we hiked consisted of very small stretches of clear path mixed with mostly what amounted to bush whacking. Many parts of the trail, especially near the shoreline are washed out and to continue going forward means climbing over logs or just pushing on through brush, vines and soft ground, making your own path. This is definitely NOT the place for young / small children in the condition it is currently in and although rated as easy, is at the moment I would say is at the least moderate, depending on the route and length you traverse. One section of the original trail we were on came to where it is still underwater and required heading back into the trees to find a way around until reconnecting with the original trail. At Cedar Bayou we finally decided to cut the hike short, found our way to paved the roads and walked the rest of the way back north to the Juniper Point campground. The trail obviously needs serious repair and/or new trail established. Recommended for a cross country adventure but NOT as an easy day hike. If you decide to go, allow extra time for the geographical delays and re-routes necessary to stay close to the original path.

Lake Texoma is dropping by almost 6 inches per day. Much of the trail has emerged from the lake. Still some sections are not passable, but I anticipate that they should be find by September 1, 2015. I hiked today (8-8-15) from the trail head across from Texoma Marina. That part of the trail is in sad shape. Lots of garbage from the flooding, trails covered with debris, but more importantly badly marked! I thought I was the only one out on that part of the trail, but noticed shoe prints in some of the mud I was walking past/through. Turned out to be mine! Was going in circles trying to find where the trail went. Finally found the other portion, but some of the portion I missed is probably still underwater.

I'll be coordinating with some other groups to help repair and improve the trail. If anyone wants to help out, keep a look out in the DFW Adventurers Meetup Group.