Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail

Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Denton, TX that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Clear Creek is a wonderful natural area with about 4 total miles of trail, located northeast of Denton, Texas. It's a lowland preserve that's got a great diversity of plantlife and birds. It is located in the Lake Lewisville upper floodplain, so the trails can get very muddy after a rain and it is best to visit during a dry week. Trails are sometimes well managed and other times totally overgrown.

My family hiked the big loop last weekend and really enjoyed it. there is a lot of diversity in wildlife and plants. The wetland trail was practically impassable. At times we were not even sure we were on a trail at all and the reeds were thick and about 8 feet tall. My husband had to carry our 8 year old through the thickest portions and said if we go back he will bring a machete. It was quite the adventure! !
Other trails were much easier and enjoyable for us all...and we didn't see even one other person.

Overall I wouldn't say it's a bad trail but the wetlands portion of the trail is so overgrown it's almost impossible to get through or even identify that it is indeed a trail.

Easy trail; good birding opportunities; waterproof hiking boots are a must during rainy weather.

All trails partially rained out. Recommend hiking elsewhere till it clears. Watch out for wild hogs... Saw about 30+ tonight. They did not engage.

I was not a huge fan of this hike. We drove up here for a nice family hike. We felt that the trails were poorly marked and that we were guessing on our location from our land navigation skills.

While there is a body of water here you do not get to see it for much of the hike. I was just glad my car was where we parked it and unharmed when we were done with the hike.

I showed up to this trail excited to see what it had to offer and it was closed. Big disappointment.

Clear Creek is a wonderful place to get close to nature. But please be careful of ticks. The ticks a clear creek have Lyme's Disease (including associated co-infections. You have two weeks to start antibiotics after a tick bite or you will have it for life. I took my dog for a walk at clear creek and both got Lyme's disease. The goverment just deamed me 100% disabled. I have been working hard for thw last 3 yrs to get well. Please be so very careful of tick bites.

This is a great easy trail. There's a lot to look at in a relatively small area: wetlands, river, woods, and a field. It's very quiet and feels secluded - and it doesn't seem to be too popular; we only ran into four or five other people while we were there. There are benches scattered throughout the trail if you get tired - or if you just want to sit and watch the birds. We'll definitely be back.

Love this trail. Different scenic views of a creek, woodland areas, and field. Easy to hike with your four legged friend too. Safe and very enjoyable. Easy Loop design so you really can't get lost.

This place is wonderful! There are so many trails! I went with a friend of mine and our dogs and we were able to let them off leash without worrying about to many people passing us. The dogs enjoyed going down to the creek and swimming. When we were leaving we actually met two of the workers and they were super friendly and loved having us and our dogs there. I will definitely be using this trail a lot!

Very fun trail! Had a lot of side trails (loops) that went down to the river which was very nice to see. Overall a very easy walk, did not run into one person during our hike. There are also nice benches and tables throughout the trail to sit and take a break or have lunch

Recommend taking a trail map, so you don't get lost!

My family has enjoyed hiking at Clear Creek for the past 8 years. The trails are great and take you through forest, grassland areas, and wetland areas around the small lake. (sometimes the lake is completely dried up in the summer) In the past several years the visitor center has been open occasionally for educational workshops, and for elementary school classes and some structural improvements have been made, including bridges and benches, better signs, and a wildlife rainwater station.

my 4th grade class went here for a field trip today and it was okay. we saw a baby green snake but that is it. we kind of got bored because all wed did was walk around. If you go with a small group of people then you might see a little bit more wildlife. they have poison ivy and some weird yellow plants that look like tomatoes but they are not so be carful. You might love it but might hate clear creek. It is a great place to fish and walk a dog or even ride a horse but not for field trips. I would rather spend my time and money on a zoo or aquarium even a museum would be a little better take my advice and don't waste you time and money here.

I have completed the following trails at Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center: Quarry Trail, Prairie Trail, Weather Box Trail, Yucca Trail, Cottonwood Trail, Fisherman's Trail, Wetlands Trail, Duck Trail, Rookery Trail.

I have visited this place 3 times, and I have never encountered more than one other hiking group on the trail. It is a good place to get some fresh air, and it is not too far from civilization.

Today I saw 2 snakes, 2 toads, many turtles and fish, cattle egrets, turkey vultures, red-shouldered hawks. There was widespread evidence of recent armadillo and beaver activity (pawprints, freshly felled trees, etc.) Most surprising was a herd of sheep consisting of 1 ram and 7 ewes! They appeared to be mouflon (Ovis aries orientalis) sheep, although they ran away before I could snap a photograph. If so then they would almost certainly have to be feral animals that have escaped from a local ranch.