Brazos Bend State Park Trail

Brazos Bend State Park Trail is a 15.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Richmond, TX that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

Fun Trail Traffic: Light weekdays, moderate weekends. Trail Surface: Crushed granite and dirt. 40-Acre Lake Loop Trail/Elm Lake Loop Trail has a hiking time of 2.5 hours for a distance 5.21 mile trail loops. Easy. Hale Lake Loop Trail 2.15 Miles loop, easy. Hiking Time 1.5 hours. Red, White, and Blue Trail 4.27 Miles loop. Hiking Time 2.5 hours Big Creek Loop Trail 2.76 Miles Two loops. Hiking Time 2 hours

Very thankful that I live in a millennium where nature still exists

We parked near the Hale Lake Loop Trail and hiked part of that to get to the Bayou and Sawmill Trails before reaching the Riverview Trail on the way back. So we made a 7.5 mile loop today. Beautiful, clear, wide trails. I don't know how likely you are to see alligators on this side of the park, away from the larger waters. We did not see one nor expect to. We did see so many deer tracks, raccoon prints and wild hog ruts. And walked up on an armadillo! It let us watch it a long while as it ate - pretty neat!
Yes, great trails at Brazos Bend State Park!

Too many gators for small children and pets, but beautiful landscape with lots of exploring to be done.

Park says they have never had a human fatality from a gator. I'm skeptical. They are big and everywhere. Awesome hike. Was able to walk by most but had to backtrack twice due to big gators on trail. Highly recommend, but stay alert.

I enjoy riding the trails at BBSP. The trails are easy. The Red Buckeye Trail is especially enjoyable on a bike. Love seeing wildlife and taking pics of the beautiful oaks at the park. Nice to have these trails as an option for a fun and quick ride.

Do not bring dog. Alligators will try to eat.

Beautiful, relaxing bike ride. Tons of wildlife.

We had planned to take some of the trails near Hale Lake on the eastern end of the park, but those were off-limits due to hunting season. We opted to start at 40 Acre Lake, hike around The Elm Lake Loop, then take the long route back via the Pilant Slough Trail (about 6 miles total). The first part of our hike was very picturesque and alligator-filled, but it was a little more developed and populated than I prefer. There are restrooms and developed campsites galore, and tons of folks were running, biking, and fishing near the trails. The Pilant Slough Trail is quite beautiful. The weather couldn't have been better—only drank about 2L the entire outing and debated on whether to bring a light jacket at the outset (we didn't need it). I will definitely be back to explore a little more.

First time to ride a mountain bike and this was the first place. Easy and enjoyable. Trails in great shape and nice scenery.

I love Brazos Bend. It's far enough from civilization to enjoy peace and quiet (unless you happen to go on a Boy Scout weekend). There are nice paved trails as well as wooded ones. Not only are there plentiful alligator that the park is famous for, t's also a great place for birding. Be aware of venomous snakes, as well as deer, wild hogs, raccoons, opossum, etc. There is a nature center, places for camping....and there is an observatory that fills up quickly weekend evenings. I don't recommend fishing here as the alligators go after bait. If you are in to geocaching there are plenty of caches there too.

(September 4, 2015) We parked at the 40 Acre Lake parking lot and set out on the 40 Acre Lake Trail around the NW side of the lake. On the other side, we followed the Spillway Trail to Elm Lake. At Elm Lake, we headed north to Horseshoe Lake, where we took the west side of the Horseshoe Lake Loop. We hiked the entire Big Creek Loop, and then followed the same route back to the car. According to the park map, we hiked a total of 6.9 miles, but taking into account a detour at Elm Lake to escape the rain, Endomondo said we hiked 7.6 miles total. With breaks and a rain detour, we were out for about 4 1/2 hours. We each consumed 2L of water and had one snack while out.

The main trails around the lakes are very well maintained, especially around 40 Acre Lake and Elm Lake -- wide, flat paths, except for a small hill near the 40 Acre Lake trailhead.

Big Creek Loop is less so. There is A LOT of damage to the trail created by wild hogs, and since it had recently rained in the area, the trail was muddy. Not a lot of standing water, but plenty of loose, black mud that stuck to our boots, got in our boots, and made a general mess. LOL. We didn't mind too much, but it's something to be aware of if you plan to head back that way.

The loops around the lakes are understandably popular with visitors. Lots of waterfowl. Lots of alligators (look for their eyes in the water). Lots of beautiful swamp scenery.

Big Creek Loop is more woodsy rather than swampy. Certainly more remote and less travelled. Great for finding some solitude. There are WILD HOGS back there, so have an escape plan in case you encounter them. Oh, and there are lots of spiders up in the trees. Shivers. :-)

We got caught by a big rainstorm on the return trip around Horseshoe Lake. While we were soaked to the bone -- nope, no raingear, lol -- nothing dampened our spirits. We'll be back!

Hiked several of the trails. Saw about 5 alligators. The park is very pretty. Seemed to walk forever for a very short distance.

I really enjoyed the trails. I didn't ride all of them and I definitely will be going back regularly.

My first trip to this park and I will definitely be going back. The trails are nice, I didn't ride all but am planning on a trip back soon to do the tougher trails and hopefully get to see a few alligators.

Flat land easy ride. Packed dirt and gravel roads.