West Prong Trail

West Prong Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

*No restroom facilities at this trail head*
This is wonderful, almost 3 mile, hike that gives you gratifying rushing waters at campsite 18. I'm not a camper, but if I was....THIS would be the place to be! The site area and river is gorgeous, and to have it right outside yous, and tour tent, what a luxury!
The trail up to this point was challenging enough, but not too hard. Steady uphill climb...once you hear the rushing creek/river waters below you, you'll know you are close. Lots of rocks and tree roots, so be careful with your ankles. The final 0.6 miles of West Prong leads up to a crossroads, where you can choose to continue onto Bote Mountain Trail. This last portion of WPT is a bit of a pain to locate....not clearly marked. So here is my best locale description. Once coming off the footbridge at CS 18, look to your right...about 1:30 or 2:00 to your right....that is where the trail starts back up to lead you to BMT. As of this date, there is a "caution...bears in this area" sign, posted to a tree...the continuation of WPT is to the right of the tree, when looking at the sign.
I hope this helps others. I spent many minutes wandering around the campsite, looking for it. :-)
These trails are horse friendly....so you may have to dodge some road apples.
I made the hike all the way to Laurel Creek Rd, on BMT....making it an almost 9 mile round trip hike, taking me 4 1/2 hours (and that is including spending time hanging out at the river, taking photographs).

Great hike!

This is an excellent trail for a casual day hike or and easy overnight camping experience at backcountry site 18. The elevation gain is gradual and due to the nice tree cover and generally smooth trail, it's an enjoyable hike. I hiked this in mid April and saw quite a few wildflowers, but the rhododendrons had not bloomed yet. There are a couple of small streams and springs along the way to use for topping off water. The scenery at campsite 18 is very beautiful and relaxing.

Relaxing

Awesome hike. Great views and water crossings. Campsite is beautiful and next to a wide streams that our daughters got to play in. We did this trail in the middle of June a few years back. It was in the nineties and part of a longer route we were taking. One thing you need to be aware of is the Hornet-Like bugs that come out of the ground. They are attracted to the LED lights and will come at you. I don't think they sting, they just fly right into you. So more of a irritant then anything else. We stayed overnight. Great day hike or overnighter.

This is a moderately short hike, pretty much an incline going in most of the way. The trail gets thin in some areas and you have to take turns letting hikers by. We stayed at campsite 18 and it was nice, right by the river. We had a juvenile bear visit us that evening But it wandered away. Good day hike or overnight.

The first 1.4 miles is an aggressive uphill. Once you make not through that, it levels off and begins descending to campsite #18. The trail is challenging to find once you get to the campsite, if you are continuing on. Luckily, we downloaded the map before we left and after three try's, we found the right direction! From the campsite to the end of west prong is 0.6 miles. Unless you are hiking to complete the trail, there is really nothing past the campsite area. We hiked to the top and then went back to Campsite #18 and had lunch. It is a beautiful area around the campsite with the river and all the cascades around it. We loved the trail, but it would definitely be considered moderate. Well worth the challenge to make it to the campsite area as it was beautiful around there.

Awesome trail, took my two teenage boys and it was a piece of cake!

Awesome trail for my kids! We camped at campsite 18. This is a great hike!

A moderate hike but kids did well. The river views are great. Abundant rest and snaking areas along trail and close to Tremont Institute.