Virgin Falls Trail

Virgin Falls Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sparta, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

36 minutes ago

This was an amazing trail. We went in mid-August, so there was not a lot of water, but the falls, and then the view from the top of the falls, were spectacular! Make sure you take the small trail to the top of the falls to enjoy the coolness of the cave up there!

Today was my first visit to Virgin Falls. I would consider this trail moderate to strenuous. The trail, in my option, is very rough- tons of rocks and roots . We did all the extra loops and Spurs and it came out to 10.8 miles(I highly recommend the sheep cave and upper falls spur). It did take a little over 6 hours to complete the hike. The upper creeks and first fall were dry. Virgin Falls was still gorgeous and well worth the hike. Make sure you take plenty of water, where adequate shoes and I wouldn't advise it for children. We completed our hike in a single day, camping would make it easier.

The trail has many scenic views of streams, cliffs, falls, and caves. There are many spots along the trail to stop and swim, or just cool off. Since it is a down and back trail, hiking back to the parking area is more difficult because a lot of the hike is up steap rocking terrain. Once again, I was very glad I had my trekking poles on this hike. I started around 7am and finished at about 12pm. I cooled off at the top of the falls for a few minutes before heading back. I suggest starting early if hiking during July and bring enough water.

also to get to roses cave drive to river go straight across fork hole head up stream on bee ck

perfect trail but we got lazy and drove to river short walk down stream and ur there bout 3 miles

Taking the kids? Start early unless you plan on camping. Moderately fit adults and two kiddos over the age of 7. Took us @3hrs to hike to the falls - slow pace. There are some lovely water holes along the way. Path: rocky, hilly, tree roots. Lesson learned: have a lighter backpack, bring more food, and plan on staying at the falls for a while to rejuvenate.
It is so worth it!! Fall is beautiful but no pool to wade in.

This was great for a one night trip. We assumed we wanted to camp at Virgin Falls, but since there was already a group there and no other great spots, we went down to Caney Fork instead. It was right next to a river which made for great swimming and also plenty of water to filter for dinner and drinking the next day. The falls didn't have enough water for us to do this.

Did this on a Wednesday night in July. Not hot at all. Only saw 3 other backpackers (one group) and 2 other couples day hiking. Falls were pretty dry.

I was a little concerned about the hike out the 2nd day because of some of the reviews I had read - I am 8 weeks pregnant, and was worried I might be overdoing it. However, we took it slow with lots of water breaks, and finished in 3 hours, no problem. The first day was actually a little tougher bc downhill was hard on our knees and we added the extra mile to the Overlook (which was well worth it).

Best campsite - Big Laurel Falls. It's only half way in. If I did it again, I'd set up camp here, spend the afternoon going further without the backpack gear, then only have 2.5 miles to hike out the 2nd day.

Great trail!

great hike, no water on top two falls on 7/2/16. virgin falls had some. even without the water, still much to see. Sheep's cave was nice. Hike in easy, hike out.... difficult, thought I was in decent shape.

Can you fish there?

nice hike lots to see

Went there many years ago and found rose cave would like to take my kids back to show them anybody know where on the trail rose cave is?? thanks

Great trail for summer time! It's pretty to hike as well!

Nice trail easy run. Fairly good camp sites as well

Second time for me. Trail was wet and slippery this time making it bit challenging. This trip was muggy buggy and showers the parking lot had 10 cars on the inbound and 18 cars next day making it a popular trail. There are around 4 campsites at virgin and big laurel. Caney river has many virgin falls is a must see. I used a hammock which seemed to be a popular option with others campers. Be aware of rattlers and other species near and around campsites as they are active (June 2016). The map can give you the wrong impression with a 30 pound pack took 1:15 to reach laurel and another 1:35 to reach virgin from parking area ...happy trails

My favorite hike thus far! Absolutely gorgeous! It was a moderate hike for me down to the falls. But very difficult back up from the falls. But extremely worth the blisters and exhaustion!

My husband and I finally hiked this trail last week after having heard talk of it for years...and we weren't disappointed! Check out my blog post for a full guide/review of the trail: http://veganfernweh.com/2016/05/29/backpacking-virgin-falls-trail-tennessee/

The falls are beautiful. Remember that you are hiking down, down, down to the falls so you must hike up, up, up to get out.