Virgin Falls Trail

Virgin Falls Trail is a 8.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sparta, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

cave

Love this hike! A little something for everybody!

one of the best trails I have ever hiked!...

Went there several years ago and it was awesome place to go

We went this past weekend and had a great time! We had originally planned on camping at Big Laurel but ended up going to Caney Fork and it was not a disappointment! I was very glad that we had decided to camp because we are new to this and the hike in wasn't too bad but the hike out wore us out! All around great trip with very clean trails.

Sprained my ankle and knee at the Laurel Falls point. Great, strenuous hike, but couldn't finish this time. Wouldn't recommend for children.

Hike down isn't too bad, legs were shaky and was ready to get to the falls. The hike out was pretty rough. With two 30 minute breaks and about and hour and a half at the waterfall, it took around 7 hours. (Decent pace). But really beautiful scenery. I would recommend working up to the hike.

This was an amazing trail. We went in mid-August, so there was not a lot of water, but the falls, and then the view from the top of the falls, were spectacular! Make sure you take the small trail to the top of the falls to enjoy the coolness of the cave up there!

Today was my first visit to Virgin Falls. I would consider this trail moderate to strenuous. The trail, in my option, is very rough- tons of rocks and roots . We did all the extra loops and Spurs and it came out to 10.8 miles(I highly recommend the sheep cave and upper falls spur). It did take a little over 6 hours to complete the hike. The upper creeks and first fall were dry. Virgin Falls was still gorgeous and well worth the hike. Make sure you take plenty of water, where adequate shoes and I wouldn't advise it for children. We completed our hike in a single day, camping would make it easier.

The trail has many scenic views of streams, cliffs, falls, and caves. There are many spots along the trail to stop and swim, or just cool off. Since it is a down and back trail, hiking back to the parking area is more difficult because a lot of the hike is up steap rocking terrain. Once again, I was very glad I had my trekking poles on this hike. I started around 7am and finished at about 12pm. I cooled off at the top of the falls for a few minutes before heading back. I suggest starting early if hiking during July and bring enough water.

also to get to roses cave drive to river go straight across fork hole head up stream on bee ck

perfect trail but we got lazy and drove to river short walk down stream and ur there bout 3 miles

Taking the kids? Start early unless you plan on camping. Moderately fit adults and two kiddos over the age of 7. Took us @3hrs to hike to the falls - slow pace. There are some lovely water holes along the way. Path: rocky, hilly, tree roots. Lesson learned: have a lighter backpack, bring more food, and plan on staying at the falls for a while to rejuvenate.
It is so worth it!! Fall is beautiful but no pool to wade in.

This was great for a one night trip. We assumed we wanted to camp at Virgin Falls, but since there was already a group there and no other great spots, we went down to Caney Fork instead. It was right next to a river which made for great swimming and also plenty of water to filter for dinner and drinking the next day. The falls didn't have enough water for us to do this.

Did this on a Wednesday night in July. Not hot at all. Only saw 3 other backpackers (one group) and 2 other couples day hiking. Falls were pretty dry.

I was a little concerned about the hike out the 2nd day because of some of the reviews I had read - I am 8 weeks pregnant, and was worried I might be overdoing it. However, we took it slow with lots of water breaks, and finished in 3 hours, no problem. The first day was actually a little tougher bc downhill was hard on our knees and we added the extra mile to the Overlook (which was well worth it).

Best campsite - Big Laurel Falls. It's only half way in. If I did it again, I'd set up camp here, spend the afternoon going further without the backpack gear, then only have 2.5 miles to hike out the 2nd day.

Great trail!

great hike, no water on top two falls on 7/2/16. virgin falls had some. even without the water, still much to see. Sheep's cave was nice. Hike in easy, hike out.... difficult, thought I was in decent shape.

Can you fish there?

nice hike lots to see

Went there many years ago and found rose cave would like to take my kids back to show them anybody know where on the trail rose cave is?? thanks