Viking Mountain

Viking Mountain is a 16.1 mile loop trail located near Greeneville, TN and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and is accessible year-round.

No trail head! Where were we? The ranger station had never heard of Viking Mountain. None the less had a blast driving eight miles up a snowy mountain & hiking about one mile to a stunning view.

We hiked from Viking mountain to the top of Horse Creek. This is a five hour hike, plus an hour if you park at the bottom of Horse Creek trail. The trail has nice views especially in the Fall. Most of the trail is moderate with a few inclines.

off road driving

It was a nice drive with some off-roading mixed in. The view from the top (4500 ft elevation, according to my GPS) was nice. I would definitely like to go back when there's some snow!

scenic driving

The drive to Viking Mountain is very beautiful... there are several places to pull off and enjoy the scenery. The road is paved half way up then a rather decent gravel to the top. There are small waterfalls that burst from the rocks on your drive up that are flowing in the summer, and form a beautiful ice sculpture in the winter. My family and I goto Viking Mtn often. The trails are fairly easy, my most recent hike was to the Blackstack Cliffs which are not featured on this site. But they are gorgeous and the view is fantastic!! The area is dog friendly however the blackstack cliff is a lil tricky towards the end, there is a small rock bluff that you must climb down. Awesome trip any season.