Turtletown Falls Trail

Turtletown Falls Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Farner, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Very nice day, 11/17/16. Sue and I hiked with our dogs, moderate to difficult somewhat. Narrow in places with some steps. The left loop takes you to first falls, continue on to the larger falls. Approximately 4.5 miles if you do the entire loop. To access the trail you have to cross a creek with a concrete bottom, not for all vehicles, then a dirt road about a mile and a half to start hiking from that point.

Enjoyed this gorgeous trail at the end of October. Colors were so pretty. Much of the walk is along the water which made it even better. Mostly shaded with trees. It's definitely off the beaten path but well worth the drive. We went on a weekday & there was a family there already which we ran into as they were leaving & we were heading in. Other than that, not a soul around. I live in FL so don't hike much but I do work out a lot and this trail definitely got my heart pumping at times. My sister & I kept laughing since we could hear our heart beat in our ears on several inclines (this was in areas where we were farther away from the sound of the rushing water and just the beautiful silence of nature was all around). We saw both of the amazing waterfalls. Somehow we missed the "loop" when we came back so ended up on the same trail we came in on. I'm sure we didn't miss much since it's all breath-taking! In all it took a little over 2 hours. We were whooped! My sister doesn't exercise at all and made it through without much complaining! Thank goodness I had a Garmin GPS to get us to the trail since the phone reception was basically nonexistent in that area. Other reviewers mention putting in the address of the white house located right across from the road that leads to the trail head & that worked great! And for any parents out there with little ones.....this trail is definitely not fit for any type of strollers, not even the sporty ones used for jogging with the kiddo. There's lots of ups & downs as well as a tree we had to climb over plus somewhat narrow steep steps to get to & from the falls. Watch your footing and wear some decent tennis or hiking shoes. Steer clear of flip flops & sandals for sure! ;-) All in all I loved this hike!!

Wonderful! Not too long, perfect for a half day hike. Everyone in N. Ga has been talking about the drought, but the creek and falls had plenty of water.

This was a great trail - one of the best in the area for us with our two dogs. We took the left trail at the fork and would recommend that route. At about 1.5 miles you'll be at the first waterfall. We then continued along the trail slightly more than a mile until we reached the second waterfall. This is not an easy trail; the moderate rating is correct. The description says 3.6 miles but our apps showed a distance closer to 4.5 miles. We plan to return again!

The trail was pretty confusing, but we figured it out. The far falls was fun to swim in.

Very nice hike. Must do. Both falls. Directions are a little off. Instead of taking Neumann road to the right go just past to next gravel road on the right. All the way to end. Very pretty.

absolutely amazing.

There is a beautiful double waterfall at the beginning if you follow the trail to the left first, but make sure you go back to the second waterfall is is also spectacular. It may get be nicer if you follow the trail to the right and go to the farthest waterfall first then come back by the double waterfall as the uphill from the furthest fall when you are walking the tree line is a tough.

For starters, the trail sign on the main road is TINY- it is a wooden sign that someone has written "turtletown creek falls". You will turn on Old Farner Rd, (across the street from a large White House) follow the dirt road a little over a mile and you'll see the parking area. The trail head is to the right near a metal gate.
The trail is clearly marked with white blazes. There are TWO falls on the loop. And two major forks in the trail. The first fork is a pig trail that cuts off to the left, you want to remain on the wide path to the right, continuing up the hill. This will dead end (the second fork) and take a LEFT. This left is clearly marked with blazes and leads to the first set of falls. However, you will pass a LEFT turn that completes the loop taking you to the first fork in the trail. At this point you want to continue forward (passing this left) and follow the white blazes to the first set of falls! Very beautiful and worth the trek! Once you leave the falls you want to come back the way you came, and the loop will be on your RIGHT now. Taking that right, following the white blazes, will take you through a very narrow trail over some steps and to the second set of falls. As you approach the falls you will see them through the trees and a small trail to the right taking you straight to these falls. Once you have enjoyed the second set of falls follow the trail back to the main trail and take a hard RIGHT finishing that loop. This will dead end at the first fork, finishing the loop, follow the path back out and to the trail head.

This place is amazing. I have no words to describe how great our hike was. The falls were absolutely amazing. I went in for a dip because... Why the hell not! Coming back soon with friends.

Beautiful! Went now three times. It is very clear during spring but trail gets a little covered during summer. Still pretty. Do the 4.5 mile loop. To go to waterfall first take the left side of trail. There are steps leading to the waterfall which is approx 1.2 miles from the start. Continue on trail which will turn right. Keep a look out for hiker trail sign and you will be turning right to complete loop. There are white blazes on trees for trail.

Take the left fork! We took the right fork and took the LONG WAY around. It may eventually join, but wowsers! That trail ended at a T and we went left for a long time. Eventually we met a smaller trail, a single file trail that was cut into the ridge. It followed the river to the falls. Yeah! Very small little spot to be, but has rocks to sit on. Then we went up the stairs. Oh the stairs! But if we'd taken the right way to begin with we wouldn't have been so exhausted. To recap: From the car was a wide trail with a little swim spot that my girls and dog loved. Taking the left fork, the trail was a nice single file trail to the stairs downhill to the waterfall. A nice hike when done the right way! The other way is great for seasoned hikers/walkers. It was an uphill climb that then had a long downhill decent, challenging my quads and knees. We weren't ready for that, but even us that are out of shape did great! Fun for all!

I think it is one of the prettiest and most interesting hikes in the area. We were unsure if the trail looped. We took the trail closest to the creek/waterfalls and then continued on a trail back up the mountain. We hiked about 3 miles and turned around when we got to another fork in the road with a hiking sign. We were unsure which way to go. We are going to go again and take the wide trail to the right. Hopefully we will see the area where we turned around. Then we will know if a loop. Very scenic trail. Can't wait for the Mountain Laurels to be in bloom.

One of the best hikes my daughter and I had all of last year. Definitely a 1st of many.

Saw both falls , hiked

Beautiful!!!

Very nice hike along Turtletown Creek. While the falls and the creek are very scenic I would like to come back in winter when the leaves are off the trees to enjoy the vistas overlooking the Hiwassee River. Definitely worth the effort of finding this little diamond in the rough.