Squibb Creek Trail

Squibb Creek Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Chuckey, TN that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

4.6 miles 1928 feet Out & Back

There is a parking lot on Horse Creek Road just before the blacktop turns to forest road. Continue up the the forest road following Horse Creek for .2 miles and take a left on the wooden bridge to access the path. In another tenth of a mile your will pass the Sampson Mountain Wilderness Boundary sign where Squibb Creek ours into Horse Creek. Continue another half mile crossing 2 well constructed footbridges until you take a sharp right over Squibb Creek. You'll know you have gone too far if you see the Turkey Pen Cove Trail sign. It's just 20 paces past where you should have crossed Squibb Creek. The next part goes uphill and you will cross the creek 12 times on the way to the falls. The approach is from the right side of Squibb Creek and you will notice a Z-shaped switch back after the final crossing.

We did this hike 9-10-16 with two kids, 11&8 -great hike! Everyone loved it. There were lots of cars at the picnic area but almost no one on the trail. The waterfall is lovely and would have been even better if it hadn't been so dry lately. Two members of our party got stung by yellow jackets on the way down, there was a ground nest on trail. The kids wished we had brought a change of clothes or swimming suit, since there is a neat place you can swim near the picnic area. I'd come again in the spring, there was evidence that there would be nice wildflowers.

This one gets the award for most creek crossings in 2 miles. More moderate as it is mostly uphill to the destination and the footing can be a little rocky in places. Overall a nice hike with lots of green even in the winter. Has a rain-forest feel to it. Mosses, ferns and water everywhere. The waterfall at the end isn't huge but it is pretty. The creek has multiple cascades along the way up.

enjoyed the hike. it was really beautiful! this more moderate than easy, but the climb up is worth the effort.

A nice hike with a lot of fun stream crossings. The waterfall at the end is beautiful. My best friend and I saw so many different types of cool mushrooms,flowers, a feisty 12" snake, cute toad, and there was a momma bear with 2 cubs that scattered when the people in front of us startled them. It was a fun afternoon adventure. :)

This was a nice little trail to an exquisite waterfall. The trail was easy to moderate with a small ascent on the second half of the trail leading to the waterfall. It ended up to be about 4.5 miles from the parking lot to the falls and back. The beginning of the trail is a shared access trail to each of Squibb Creek, Turkey Pen Cove and Middle Spring trails. It surprised me I saw no other hikers on the trail at 10 AM on a nice summer Saturday as the campground seemed active when I drove through it. I crossed a bridge about 2 tenths of a mile from the parking lot and then passed the wilderness boundary and 2 more bridges and an A-shaped cabin on the way to the fork of the trail. I actually missed the turn and ran into the sign for Turkey Pen Cove trail (# 15). I then backtracked 25 feet or so and crossed Squibb Creek. A short ways up this path there was actually a sign that said Squibb Creek trail (# 23). I guess this may have actually been the beginning of the trail but I had already walked about 3/4 of a mile. Shortly, I passed the sign to Middle Spring trail( # 4). From this point I crossed the creek a dozen times. There were many steps leading up and down the the creek crossings and plenty of rocks to keep my feet from getting wet. At the end was the treasure, a nice waterfall. I also saw many different colors of fungus and mushrooms, a tiny lizard with a neon blue tail and a fluffy white caterpillar. This was one of the easiest trails I have been on lately, covered in leaves and pine needles and few rocks except the stream crossings. I barely made a sound, even with hiking poles.

You start off from the parking lot on Horse Creek for a very short distance and cut off to the left onto Squibb Creek Trail. Two other trails cut off to the left Turkey Pen Branch Trail (Primitive) then Middle Spring Ridge Trail which goes all the way up to Big Butt on the AP trail.

This hike has 9 creek crossings with only 3 foot bridges. Be prepared to get wet. This trail is not marked well and we missed it several time before finding it. We ended up calling it the Elusive falls. One you do find it they are worth the trip! They are located in the horse creek recreation area in the Sampson Mountain Wilderness. It's approximately a 5 mile hike round trip.

A nice easy to moderate hike with some elevation. The scenery is beautiful with several small creek crossings. The top of the trail ends at a small beautiful waterfall. With the hike just a little over 3 miles one way there are several places you will want to take pictures. Take a friend with you and share the experience.