Spruce Flats Falls Trail

Spruce Flats Falls Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

This was a nice little trail that my boyfriend and I did. It took about 30 minutes one way. It gets rough towards the end, but then you get to the falls and it's beautiful!

Overall this was a great hike. Our two boys really loved it as well and we all felt it was pretty challenging. I would personally rate it a bit more tough than just a moderate hike as there are quite a few substantial inclines and areas where you have to be careful with proper footing. In short, it was a really fun and challenging hike!

I love this trail! Not a very long hike, but a nice incline. it's in a popular area, but for some reason folks don't know about this trail. which is exactly why it rates so high with me. I'll take a pic of the falls next time I go up and post. I told a friend about it and he proposed up there!

Beautiful falls. Moderate trail with steep elevation change. Trail is very narrow/slick in places. Would definitely say boots required.

For a family hike with small kids, we found this trail to be perfect for the following reasons:
- convenient location starting from Treemont
- less than 2 miles out and back
- challenging hike
- there's a waterfall
- several pool areas at the base of main falls and middle falls for the kids to swim / play

Spruce Flats Falls is very close to the Tremont Institute in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. It is an impressive waterfall at the end of a short but sometimes steep unnamed trail. Spruce Flats Falls is one of my favorite waterfalls in the park.

The trail to the falls is narrow, and has some rocky and steep spots. It has the feel of a more remote trail when compared to more popular waterfall hikes in the park. It is a great trail for people who want to do a quick hike away from the crowds/ I consider this route easy to moderate, but I know some first time hikers I have taken on this trail would call it a hard moderate, or difficult hike. I can understand that, but the hard parts never last long on a route this short.

This waterfall is not visited as much as some of the others in the park since the trail is not on the official trail map for the park. It can get crowded at times when there is a field trip from students visiting the Tremont Institute.There is a large map of the route outside the small visitor center near the trailhead for the hike.