Shutes Branch Trail

Shutes Branch Trail is a 3.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Old Hickory, TN. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options.

whitewater kayaking

Close enough to nature to taste what I love and close enough to humans to hear what I don't love.

It's fine but needs some cleaning up around the picnic tables.

I hate how close it is to the highway. When I can hear cars driving by, that takes away from the whole point of being outside in nature.

Starts easy and progressively gets harder. Would definitely run again.

I went through almost all these trails a few times now. Honestly I am not in shape enough to do all of it at once. Which is why this is a great set up. It used to be a camping spot so there is a big ash fault loop that if you have a bike failure ( like my daughter had 2 days in a row) you can get the bike back easily ( which worked out great because I was about ready to die from not being in shape). you also have Sandersville road to the North for an escape route as well. (which we used as well). the trail is well marked and I met the person, who name is escaping me right now, who maintains the trail and we spoke for 30 minutes. He was tending to the well maintained and well marked trail. The trail has 4 sections. The trailhead (until the Advanced part) is easy to Moderate. My 11 yr old daughter never went on a trail and she did fine ( as I mentioned the bike broke but that was due to poor maintaince). minor elevation changes and hills. A few rocks and roots but overall easy. The Advanced (which is well marked at the start) can be bypassed easily by going a few feet into the trail and then taking the ash fault road back (once you see the small building). This is a technical trail that was a lot of fun for me. Again moderate elevation changes. it has a lot of rocks that are fun to fall on and crash into. A few trees jumped out onto the path and bit me ( no really they did) and a few downed trees are set up to go up and over. This advanced trail is not extreme. My 11 yr old did it and did fine. (although she had to walk a few spots and we by passed the really hard spots with the convenient by pass trail, again well marked). This trail is definitely made for people who bike on things other than green ways. I enjoyed it a lot. The next section on the side of a hill. It has a lot of elevation changes and there is a lot of tight turns as you go down hill and then up. I did not like this part as I am not as in shape as I want to be. If I was in shape this would be a good trail. Again well marked. I stopped here. I did not do the last part yet. As soon as I do I will update my review.

Oh also........the whole trail is about 8.1 miles, not 3.4......

I just rode this trail today for the first time and really enjoyed it. As others have said, the first couple of miles are a nice easy ride (although curvy) and then it gets a little more technical. I had trouble figuring out how all the parts of the trail connected at times but hit most of it.

Another neat thing about this one is that it was apparently some old campground many years ago, so you see benches and old stone picnic tables all along the trail that have long since been grown over, and there are even some old bathroom facilities that are falling apart and have been overrun by vines and graffiti but are interesting to check out. All around a nice, fun trail.

trail is actually 8 miles long

Love this trail. Starts out as a smooth family trail. Then you hit the rocks. And they just keep going. Love it. Wear knee pads. Nice flow. Great directions through out the trail. One of my favs.

From nice and easy riding to long and technical rock gardens. It's a good ride.