Short Springs State Natural Area Trail

Tullahoma, Tennessee
Short Springs State Natural Area Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tullahoma, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

scenic driving

I took the Machine Falls trail twice this weekend. This trail is SO beautiful! I would rate it as more strenuous than moderate because of the steep grade on the steps going down to the falls. The climb back up is certainly not for the faint-hearted either!
This is definitely my new favorite place to be! On Saturday morning there weren't very many people there so it was serene and peaceful. Sunday was very busy in the afternoon with a lot of kiddos enjoying the water! I will very likely return in the early morning just to sit and soak it in!

Beautiful falls. A nice little descent that was a little slippery. I was glad I had my hiking stick! To get to the falls you must walk through the creek. Be prepared for wet shoes and socks! If you want a longer hike continue over the bridge on the opposite side of Machine Falls. Nice hike!

Loved it!!!

Great family hike!

my family absolutely loves this one. it's always our "go to" falls.
east enough for our 4year old

I loved this hike! Took the Busby trail down to the falls and went across the bridge and took the Adams Falls Loop trial. Every step was incredible! A great hike with ample flat trails and several elevation changes so it's both a solid workout and beautiful hike. As other reviewers have pointed out, though, if you're scared of spiders and spider webs, this hike ain't for you

Beautiful waterfall. We went in early spring & the falls were running so heavenly!

Great hike and the waterfall is amazing! Machine Falls is worth the hike to see the amazing waterfall. I definitely would recommend this trail for a day trip.

Great! Beautiful falls ( Machine Falls). A steep drop to the gorge below. Lots of slick rocks and slick pieces of wooden steps to negotiate. A bridge spans the stream at the bottom but you turn off to the right and generally walk in the stream to get to the falls. The view is worth it! After spending time there, we decided to keep going rather than go back up the steep incline ( it is shorter). The continuation of the trail is longer but is less strenuous. Would do it again!

love it, nice big waterfall, great hike

It was a very easy time to get to the main fall. Not many people there on a Saturday

Hiked the Machine Falls Loop, steep and uneven at some parts but a beautiful hike and waterfall.

Based on this website only, I was not aware there were multiple trails of varying distances. Different paths can be taken to extend your hike to 3+ miles. Most of the hike was easy, but the short section coming up hill from Machine Falls was moderately strenuous for anyone not accustomed to extended climbs.

It's possible to get back to Machine Falls without getting wet, but do not expect it. Wear shoes/clothing you don't mind getting wet.

Loved it! Beautiful! Great family hike.

Finding the trail was a little misleading. The parking lot is next to a huge white water tower,m and the trail actually starts across the street. Pretty hike. We did the Machine Falls Loop which was about 2 miles. Easy to navigate. Follow the white paint marks on the trees if you want to stay on that trail. Some areas are pretty steep. The walk to the falls leads about 100 yards off the trail but it is clearly marked. Absolutely wear water friendly shoes/sandals- you will get your feet wet! Worth the trip!

So beautiful!!! Not sure about a moderate rate because it was rather challenging for me and I'm not in the worst shape!