Ruby Falls

DIFFICULTY 17 reviews

Ruby Falls is a heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Chattanooga, TN that features a waterfall. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

cave

The caverns had a pretty light show, but it was way over-priced and very crowded.

Don't waste your time or money.

Loved the falls - spectacular! The gardens and grounds were gorgeous. We really enjoyed our visit here. The trail was easy, peaceful. And the part of the trail where you choose to be daring and either shimmy through the extremely narrow opening between two large rocks in the path or be a wimp and just go around? Yeah, I just went on around.

There was a long line/wait to get in. We had to park quite a distance away. But once we were inside, everyone seemed to spread out so it didn't seem quite as crowded.

I highly recommend a visit to this awesome site!

me and my kids had a blast. it was a lot of people. but worth it all the way.

I had fun on this tour. the tour guide was real friendly & it's fun seeing & learning about the history behind Ruby falls.

Lot of people, long crowded walk.

this shouldn't be on a trail site. it's a VERY touristy area. You're charged $20 a person to stand in an overcrowded, really hot cave for several hours. it's not even real anymore. this cave was discovered before there were laws protecting them, so the original formations are almost completely gone. The ones you see are not real, or they have been brought in from other caves. The waterfall is pumped in. the natural waterfall is only a trickle. My ex boyfriend used to be the cave mataneince manager, which is how I know all of this! The only way you should ever see ruby falls, is go after a big rain (the waterfall is runoff and not spring fed so it can get really big and sometimes flood the cave) and only in the non peak season. Otherwise you are crammed in the cave like sardines, and management has not trouble just shoving you into their old elevator which breaks down all the time, causes customers to get stuck for several hours. Not an enjoyable experience for the price you're paying.

Not necessarily a hike, it is a walking tour through a cave. Very interesting stuff to see.

If you're in the area, this is should be a must on your list. It was about a one hour guided tour through the cavern. Quick stops with brief history behind the cavern. Once at the falls, there was enough time to snap a few photos. Even with the lights, it was still pretty dark, had to push my iso up a bit more than usual. Overall, definetly recommend. Family friendly, they offer kennels for pets. Gift shop and food if needed.

I enjoyed this guided tour at ruby falls. It was nice to learn about how the falls was discovered and to share this experience with my son. This could have been a greater experience if we were given at least three minutes to view Ruby Falls. After you take the long walk into the cavern you only actually get a small portion of time to take photos and actually enjoy the moment. Overall my group did enjoy this trip. The line was long to get in but it moved pretty fast. The cost was approx. $70 for two adults and two children.

Nice and cool on a hot summer day!

Not necessarily a "hike", but definitely something fun to do if you have family or friends in town and are looking for something to do. It is a tourist attraction of course, so it will definitely be busy on the weekends.

Ruby Falls is inside a cave. The public entrance is atop Lookout Mountain. You ride an elevator down into the cave, and do a tour to the falls. We were there in 1990, and had to wait more than two hours to get into the elevator.