Prentice Cooper State Forest Loop

Prentice Cooper State Forest Loop is a 3.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Signal Mountain, TN that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round.

Unless you are backpacking, I don't recommend camping at Davis Pond. it is just an open field with an outhouse and a swampy area. If you can haul your stuff up the hill to the more secluded spots, then you can backpack into some of the nicers backcountry spots actually on the trail...

I camped there once - a huge group of Boy Scouts joined. And then I was bitten by a Pit Bull... The road to the campsite is not for low-clearancr vehicles or ones that care about their suspension. and if it rains, it can be a challenge. There are some absolutely lovely campsites not far from the Snoopers Rock parking area, on the opposite side of the road.

And definitely check about hunting season. you can search for the most updated ones online.

But there are TONS of really cool trails to explore throughout P.C. and the Cumberland Trail. You can easily set up base camp at one of the backcountry sites and hike the network of trails.

We camped here last weekend. We chose not to do one of the trail campsites since we had so much gear and only four people to carry, so we went to Davis pond. Most of the main campsites were already taken, so we went off to the side....needless to say, the next 24 hours were more than eventful. A stray dog (that we ended up taking home) wandered up to stay the night with us, an a gentleman across the lake got bitten by a snake at 2 am, which we all rushed to. Even though the place was well maintained and very beautiful, I'm not sure I can go back after that.

off road driving

this is a awesome place to go fourwheeling. just call ahead of time to make sure there isn't game hunt going on.