Old Trace Garrison Creek Loop Trail

Old Trace Garrison Creek Loop Trail is a 1.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Franklin, TN that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Trail begins behind restrooms. This is a good hike to do with young kids. Short enough to keep them interested and long enough to give them a good workout. Great for introduction to hiking. Short little loop hike that begins behind the bathrooms at the Garrison Creek Trail off of the Natchez Trace in Franklin. This is a pretty easy hike that almost anyone could do. The climbs are not that steep or long. The trail is always easily located, wide and with limited to no obstacles.

Most of the hike was great. The first part of the path was VERY overgrown and wasn't great. Also, the end part of the path continued through a creek bed which was fine if you had a horse or didn't mind wading through the water to get to the other side of the trail. Other than that, beautiful forest scenery.

This is a wonderfully peaceful trail. I recommend it to anyone trying to get a break from the city.

Beautiful area, nice trail, but POORLY marked. We will go back but be prepared to get turned around your first there.

Nice short loop trail. I had no issues with any water crossing. I liked that the crescendo of hike is basically midway (which is where you can branch off toward another trailhead). Slightly overgrown only for a short segment. Shelter and rest rooms a bonus.

To me this trail was not worth it. I went here because I wanted a change from Radnor or the Warner parks. I am pretty adventurous and love hiking, but after hiking a half mile on this trail I turned around and went to Radnor. The weeds were extremely overgrown and every 10 steps I was wiping away spider webs from my face (I ignored the ones on my legs and arms). While the drive around the Nachez Trace is worth it, I won't be back to attemp this trail.

If you do try this trail, make sure you where pants and prepare to get your feet wet in the creek crossings.

NOTE - if you hike this trail it would be good to bring a towel or two - there are two crossings over the creek that you will get your feet wet - we took our boots off and had to dry our feet w our shirts. There really needs to be a bridge built (where there once use to be one) on this trail.

We hiked this trail for the first time - there really should be markings along the trail to let you know you are still on the trail - the map shows. 1.6 mil for the hike - we ended up w 3.5 mil after we were done staying on the trail the way we were to go.

Ended up hiking 5 miles instead of 2 because we managed to get turned around.

Signage is a bit confusing. Walked to wrong parking lot. So quick 1/2 hour walk turned into 2 hours. Wanted the exercise anyway. Saw several groups of ppl confused by signage.

Great area to hike, quiet,beautiful and not crowded

Great trail with very little traffic. As mentioned by others, a little overgrown in parts. I did not experience any extremely muddy conditions today. I found this trail easy other than one short climb. Not nearly as challenging as Warner parks. I may not return, but would definitely suggest it to others who have not experienced it.
On a side note: if coming from Nashville, do take Hillsboro to Lieper's for an enjoyable pre hike drive:-)

When reviewers said the trail is muddy, I should've believed them. It has rained here the past 3 days, so I'm sure that made it worse.

Trail is scenic with a couple of minor hills. Otherwise fairly easy. Problem is the mud. I didn't see any other hikers. Saw 6 people on horseback. The horses chew up the trail and contribute to the mud.

Because of the recent rain, I think I had 5 water crossings. The first, after you walk under the roadway, I decided to detour around by walking up to the road and around. Second one, no way around it. Shoes off and water up to my knees. The rocks were very slippery. The last couple were after the tall grass and trail of mud that others have mentioned. At that point, I was ankle deep in mud, so just walked through the water crossings to clean off my shoes and legs.

This trail is a decent change of scenery from Percy Warner and Radnor Lake. I don't know I'd go out of my way to go here. Although the drive through Leipers Fork is worth it.

Nothing great about this trail. No views, and you have to get your feet wet to cross a stream where there was once clearly a bridge. Definitely wouldn't recommend.

If you're looking for an alternative to hiking around Percy Warner and don't want to travel too far away from the city, this is a great option. It had just previously rained the past few days so knew the trail would be a bit muddy. Really if it wasn't for the horse tracks, it wouldn't have been bad at all. The creeks were very high and was a point when I did have to remove my shoes and cross the creek. However, in the summer I'm sure they would be easily crossed. It was a beautiful day and the trail was nearly empty. Driving home I pass by Percy Warner, and you couldn't even find a parking spot. I'll take Garrison every time when that is the case. Nice little hike, close to the city, not busy. Recommended for sure. Not difficult by any means. Check it out. Enjoy!