Montgomery Bell State Park - South Loop

Montgomery Bell State Park - South Loop is a 9.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burns, TN that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park Office/Visitor Center: 615-797-9052 1020 Jackson Hill Road Burns, TN 37029

fairly difficult trail, but beautiful!

Great hike but the whole trail is not for the faint hearted. There are several shorter trails though.

Actually, I only did the south part of the loop and returned to the trailhead following Creech Hollow Trail. Moderate hike with constant but not hard inclines. It was beautiful and we encountered only a few people.

wonderful, just remember to watch out for snakes when walking through water.

Nice day hike with some beautiful lake views. Easy-moderate with a few moderate climbs. Enjoyable day hike. With the shelters, this could easily serve as a training shakedown hike for potential longer trips.

It was a great long hike!

Had a great time on this hike. The challenge is in the length. Most of the trail is fairly easy with some healthy inclines sprinkled throughout. Had a little trouble finding the trail due to the fact it's just labeled Montgomery Bell on signs instead of Montgomery Bell Southwest Trail, but it's easy enough to find. Not much in the way of stunning overlooks, but lots of changing vegetation and trees throughout. Hiking this was a pleasure and I will definitely hike it again, and backpack at one of the tree shelters there.

I'm a Trail Runner from Nashville. About once a month I make the drive out to Montgomery Bell, as this is my favorite running trail in middle Tennessee. Moderate hills, all singletrack, a lot of water features (lakes and creeks), and the trail is well drained. Even during or after a heavy rain, there aren't many muddy spots. The Southwest Loop is my favorite, and I go counterclockwise around the loop, and then take the orange blazed Creech Hollow Trail back toward the ranger station and campground.

I usually park at the picnic pavilion, run through the campground, across the bridge, and take the wildcat trail to the Ore Pit LoopTrail, and then onto the MB trail. Then the Creech Hollow Trail back to my truck. I often also take a 1 mile out and back side track down the spillway trail. It is on the edge of a nice creek, But it is technical with roots and rocks. Including that side track, my route is about 9 miles, 1100 feet of climbing

I don't find the NorthEast Loop quite as interesting, with fewer water features

The trails here are never crowded. Once a year the Tennessee State Park system runs a trail race on this loop. See their website.

We did the entire "White Trail" that includes the North and Southwest M Bell Trail. It came out to be around 9+ miles. Started at the North end just behind the old entrance building, ended at the Visitors centre just down the street. The entire trail was well enough marked that we had no trouble finding our way even with the ground completely covered in leaves. The North section had a few nice creek crossing but little other to add to the beautiful hardwood forest. We stopped at Cheech Hollow Lake for a snack and a sit. Deciding to complete the trail rather than cut to the car on the "Orange Trail" we doubled back. The Southern section had a lot more diversity along with a few bridge crossings.
All in all, I truly enjoyed completing the entire trail at once and feel doing it "backwards" worked best for us.

Great trail for a day hike. Montgomery Bell is just one of gems we have in our state park system. One warning, there lots of leaves of three plants with parts having narrow trails so proceed cautiously.

Great day hike trail or over night trip. Also a great trail to train younger hikers or people new to backpacking. The lake seen while walking the trail offers some additional fishing possibilities to increase the activities which can be done during an overnight packing trip. You can view my complete video review at the following link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu4o3W4R0sw&list=UUrbCt-DBMAvESOy14rdqzlQ

The full Montgomery Bell trail is 10.5 miles. 3 shelters along the trail for overnight stays. I did this as a day hike with moderate difficulty. The few times I've been on the MB trail its been pretty low traffic and only run into a few other hikers. Be sure to grab a trail map, or other method of finding your way because blazes are sometimes difficult to find. Will definitely come back and do the trail again and make it an overnight trip.

A nice trail with less elevation change than other parks near Nashville. The visitor center can provide you a map of the entire park, but it is poor and doesn't give much detail about the trails. The trail was adequately marked (read: not great) in most places, but near the overnight shelter, we could have used a better map - the trail goes up and behind the shelter although on the map it appears to lead away from the shelter along another well-worn path. Choose wisely! There are no blazes in the immediate vicinity to help. Here the trail is listed at 6.9 miles, but the trail signs suggested 7.5.

Overall, this is a nice trail for an afternoon outing. Our little group did it in 4 hours with some stops to eat and see things along the trail. I wish the park authorities could provide some better support with maps and trail markers.

This is a great trail. Really smooth. Great directions through out the trail. The trail has a great flow to it. Good luck on Tommy's Revenge. Nice challenge Use Maprika app if you need it to guide ya better.

This is a great trail. Really smooth. Nice flow. Great directions thru out the trails. Tommy's Revenge is a nice challenge. The people there do an awesome job maintaining the trails.