Montgomery Bell State Park North Loop Trail

Montgomery Bell State Park North Loop Trail is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Burns, TN that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Park Office/Visitor Center: 615-797-9052 1020 Jackson Hill Road Burns, TN 37029

We had an absolute blast today- myself, my 17 and 14 yr old. We did the entire 10.5 with our small dog in one day and rocked it! We are not super fit but we are super stubborn and we refused to quit..... just enough hills to give us a good workout but not hard. Scenery was beautiful and the trail was well marked. I got confused for a sec and called the park office and they quickly got a park ranger to call me back and tell me what to do.... FYI, the super cool bridge that is falling apart, that's not part of the trail. We will definitely be back!

This is a beautiful hike, lots of small water crossings, easy terrain and very secluded. There is a couple of places along with way that are not clearly marked and we ended up adding an additional mile to our trip but I'm not complaining, it was still beautiful.

Lovely secluded hike. Only did a section of it but we will be going back.

We did the entire "White Trail" that includes the North and Southwest M Bell Trail. It came out to be around 9+ miles. Started at the North end just behind the old entrance building, ended at the Visitors centre just down the street. The entire trail was well enough marked that we had no trouble finding our way even with the ground completely covered in leaves. The North section had a few nice creek crossing but little other to add to the beautiful hardwood forest. We stopped at Cheech Hollow Lake for a snack and a sit. Deciding to complete the trail rather than cut to the car on the "Orange Trail" we doubled back. The Southern section had a lot more diversity along with a few bridge crossings.
All in all, I truly enjoyed completing the entire trail at once and feel doing it "backwards" worked best for us.

First time on this trail. I'm a beginner and my goal is to go somewhere other than my two local spots (Dunbar cave and rotary park in Clarksville, TN) every weekend this summer and to ultimately do some weekend long hikes.
My plan was to do the 6 mile loop, but I got a little turned around and did 9.3 miles!!! The most I've ever done in one day!!! I always hike alone, I'm always looking for a hiking buddy, cause my friends always back out, But I don't mind, and honestly, I really enjoyed getting a little lost in the woods and finding my way out on my own.
I enjoyed these trails, and look forward to going again when all the trees bloom, I know it will be gorgeous then. The trails were somewhat challenging in spots, but I was able to handle it as a beginner. Several creeks to cross, lots of ups and downs, definitely never a dull moment. The trails were easy to follow in some areas, a little confusing in others, mainly where trails crossed, or you had to cross a street and get back on. I didn't mind because I had plenty of time to wander, but if you've never been, plan to get a little turned around.
I will definitely go again soon to explore more. And I would like to do the whole 10.5 mile loop.

Such a great trail with beautiful views, including a lake, valleys, and wildlife!

Great trail overall. We went in early May and followed this exact loop - the M. Bell (white) with Creech Hollow Trail (orange) cut through. Trails were well-marked. Terrain was somewhat challenging, but not a lot of ups and downs. The northeast segment follows a creek, which is nice. There are several small creek crossings, which weren't bad (it had been 4-5 days since the last rain). The Creech Hollow Trail takes you right down to the edge of the lake, so our dog got to go swimming. We hardly ran into anyone except for a couple groups fishing at Creech Hollow Lake. Overall it was a great trail and we will definitely come back.

Great trail. Went in October and the leaves were just starting to change color. Very pretty views. Only saw one other group of hikers. Took the 6 mile North Loop which is part of the Montgomery Bell (MB) trail. The full MB trail is 10.5 miles. North loop takes you along Creech Lake (great views) and crosses a creek several times. Lots of rocks and roots on most of the trails. Will definitely go again.

Great park! Very clean & family friendly. I did the 10.5 and another section of trail. Not all of this trail is well marked but you can figure it out. Saw very few other hikers. Would love to camp here and spend more time on the trails!

I really enjoyed this trail. Very well-kept path for the most part, and I always prefer dirt ones like this to some of the paved Greenways trails. Not too many awesome views, but the scenery isn't boring. You parallel the creek for a good portion of it which opens things up a bit, and if you do the cut-off, 6 mile loop which I did as opposed to the whole 10.5 you will incorporate the Creech Lake trail which does have some very nice lake scenery. The park as a whole is extremely well maintained, and I plan to go back to do the whole 10.5 mile loop and maybe even some camping.

This trail has plenty of pretty spots, but lacked the scenic views of many of the other spots weve trekked to, even in my novice experience. While the views were limited, there were still plenty of pretty spots, especially at the beginning and end of the trail. A brief interlude in a flatter, pine tree patch broke up the moderately hilly scenery with typical Tennessee trees & vegetation.