Meigs Creek Trail

Meigs Creek Trail is a 6.8 mile out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and fishing and is accessible from March until November.

*No facilities at the trail head. Make a pit-stop at the IGA grocer/gas station in Townsend, or drive further ahead from trailhead and stop at Metcalf Bottoms picnic area, then turn around and go back to trail head*

The parking lot gets very full, very quick.....especially when the warmer months are upon us. Folks come an take a dip in The Sinks, and stay for hours....so my suggestion is to get there early. There are no other parking options near the trail head.
Wonderful trail, with many, many creek crossings...18 times, two times (out and back). Be prepared to get your shoes wet, if we've had heavy rains, or be sure to bring along/wear water shoes.
The trail is challenging enough, but not brutal. The water level was very low, the day I went (July 19th), only only got my shoes wet because of misplacing my foot.
The Meigs Creek Cascades are beautiful. Again, the water was low enough for me to rock hop to the middle of the water, and not get wet.
The last 1/4 of the trail, before the Meigs Mountain and Lumber Ridge trail junctions, was becoming quite overgrown, when I was there. The nettle was very high, and flopping over the trail. The ferns, although gorgeous, was creeping into the trail, and was thick....no snakes were seen, but because of the over growth of foliage, I couldn't see one even it one was there! Many varieties of mushrooms, and there were several HUGE American Beech trees that are a lovely sight!
Had my first bear sighting, while on the first 1/4 of the trail....but he/she was so far away, there was no threat. I just watched in awe, from afar, until I knew it was at a safe distance that I could continue.

Nice trail for a hot August day with all the water crossings. Water level was not too high so we were rock hopping with no need to change out of our boots. Few folks on the trail. Lots of varieties of mushrooms noted. Would definitely do again as a car drop and go from the Sinks to Tremont to make this an eight mile one way.

Very nice hike. It poured while we hiked, so crossing the rising creeks was a bit of a challenge, but fun nonetheless.

A fun little hike. There hadn't been much rain so the creek crossings were fairly tame.

The first mile in was pretty strenuous up hill, but as you descend down to Meigs creek, it is well worth it! We traveled back and forth across the creek, approximately 18 times, and almost always had the creek in site. The trail was very well maintained and was very easy to follow. After the first ascent, the rest of the trail was easy! My 7 year old and 11 year old daughter went with us. We didn't see any wildlife on the trial, but that doesn't mean their not there. Highly recommend this trail!

Great short trail if you like hiking near water. Around 18 creek crossing but you can cross all but two of them (depending on water levels) without getting your boots wet.

Late October was a great time to go. The hardest part is crossing the creek 4 times.

Very nice , mostly easy trail. Pretty steep going up at first. Can be rough if you are out of shape like I am. Eventually it evens out nicely and is truly amazing! You even get cell service which along the trail, ha! We didn't get to finish this trail, though. There are multiple water crossings and were scared we would fall in. We came to a spot where you literally had to climb
a fallen tree for a bit and a man we met there said it was even trickier further up. We turned around and went back there and decided to try again in the summer. However, still an amazing trail. Very beautiful. We did just under two miles before we turned around and it was very well worth it.