Laurel Fork Trail

Laurel Fork Trail is a 15.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roan Mountain, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from February until November.

Myself and a good friend of mine, John, started our hike at the end of Phil Arnett Rd. From that trail we hit a section of the AT, then off onto the Laurel Fork Trail. We crossed the stream 21 times (not to include the little streams and swampy run offs from the hillsides) The first few times we were able to cross in hiking boots then it was on to the river sandals for the rest of our journey which was just over 9 miles.

Oh yeah, I should read my reviews before I post them. We ended our hike at the parking area of the AT in Dennis Cove.

I started at Dennis Cove Road and took the trail past Dennis Cove Falls, though Frog Level, Past Lacy Trap Trail and made it to Laurel Fork Falls before returning back to the parking lot. The trail actually meets up with the Appalachian Trail. This was a fairly easy trail as far as elevation gain but I did have to cross the Laurel Fork a dozen times getting to my destination. In addition to the multiple stream crossings there were multiple waterfalls, open meadows, and places to swim. There were plenty of folks on the trail, some hikers and some fishermen. I didn't see any wildlife on the trail other than some butterflies. I recommend this trail for all avid hikers but with all the creek crossings you may want to leave the little ones at home. There is no way to cross the creeks without getting into the water and creek crossing number 3 was particularly deep.