Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls

Gabes Mountain Trail to Hen Wallow Falls is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Cosby, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

bridge out

old growth

The trip to Hen Wallow Falls is a pleasant walk through hemlock and rhododendron forest. A signed side trail leads to the base of the falls by way of steep switchbacks. Hen Wallow Creek, only two feet wide at the top of the falls, fans out to 20 feet at the base. The waterfall is 90 feet high.

First time hiking with hiking poles I am a definite fan of them. It was a 80 degree day in October very warm for a fall day. Celebrated my 24th wedding anniversary with my beautiful wife on an awesome hike in the mountains. It was great to get out and enjoy Gods creative beauty.

Enjoyed this trail for the second time. I took my daughter on this trail when she was two & needed to be carried most of the way, I think she walked one mile. It was tough that time because I carried her the whole way in a hiking carrier. The uphill climb and rugged terrain made for a challenging trail. This trip however, my daughter is four years old and she walked to the falls without much assistance & was carried off & on going back. Would I recommend this trail to others? Yes. I would suggest water, snacks, hiking essentials & sturdy shoes. The hike is mostly shaded by the surrounding historic forest. The trail has areas with rocks, roots & mud throughout. I think this is a great trail families with older children. As always, bringing smaller children makes situations more complex. I think smaller children would enjoy this hike, but will need to be carried some. My number one rule of hiking with kids is to Always Outnumber The Children. It's always best to have another adult to help. We started at the trail head around 2pm and came back around 6:30pm- we spent a good while at the falls and took breaks throughout.

A great off the beaten path trail. Trail is easy to follow. Had a really enjoyable afternoon walk through the woods. Good for all skill levels. Had great bbq after the hike at the Hungry Bear restaurant on E Parkway.

We are an active couple with an active eight year old boy, and the trail proved to be challenging on the hike up. It is a gorgeous trail, beautiful scenery. Very quiet. Very neat water crossings. It took us four hours round trip yesterday with a number of breaks to allow me to catch my breath. I honestly think I was having an elevation problem. The falls are down a steep path so be aware. Good shoes are recommended and plenty of water. We ate our snacks at the falls (which were stunning) and headed back. The hike back down goes MUCH faster. I did burst one panting family's bubble when I told them they were not at the halfway point yet. Please. Read the trail signs. No dogs are allowed. That goes for the folks who think their unleashed Australian Cattle Dog doesn't apply to the rule.

We never found the actual waterfall, but enjoyed the nature trail.

Fun hike!

Fun hike. Good length to either meander along or could be a quick day hike. Hiked it in January and it is pretty in the snow

Very cool hike with a beautiful waterfall waiting for you at the end. This hike isn't extremely hard or long so it's the perfect short day hike. It's pretty much up the whole way to the falls, extremely easy hike back down.

This trail was a little muddy in a few places after a couple of inches of rain earlier in the week. The path is a slight incline and the path is filled with roots. Unfortunately we did not make it to the waterfall and turned around 1.30, because of a downpour and darkness, we were only 50 minutes in.

Henwallow Falls is a 4.4 miles trail, 2.2 miles out and back. On your way to the falls, you are climbing most of the way and it is a bit strenuous. This makes the return hike relatively easy. I enjoyed the hike, although it was nothing spectacular.

I don't know how you could make this an 8 mile hike. From the Cosby campground, follow Gabes Mountain trail about 2 miles to a fork to the right which goes downhill 0.1 miles to Henwallow falls. The roundtrip hike is a relatively easy 4.4 miles.