Gregory Bald via Twentymile

Gregory Bald via Twentymile is a 15.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Tallassee, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Shushuck? Firetower. One of the best views in the park. Gregory Bald is very cool too. I took 20 mile to the AT then met up with Gregory Bald. Long, difficult hike but worth it. Great views, little traffic, good forest.

Incredible view of Cades Cove from the bald. Took a detour to Shuckstack Firetower as well for an equally breathtaking view. One of my favorite hikes in GSMNP yet.

I made this loop using the Wolf Ridge Trail, the Gregory Bald Trail, the AT and the Twentymile Creek Trail. Its a little over 18 miles long and took about 9.5 hours to do. You can get to the trail-head by traveling to the Twentymile Ranger Station off NC SR 28.

The WRT is well maintained and passes through several foot bridge crossings, traveling nearly 3 miles before making a serious ascent. With a 3000 foot elevation gain, the remaining 3.5 miles are.....noticeable. I was fooled by several false summits and happy to finally reach its leveling at Parsons Bald, about 1/2 mile from where the trail meets the GBT at Campsite 13. Although Parsons is practically covered now, w/ no discernible views, it still has remnants of the open-aired quality of a bald as the WRT winds down to 13 with a gentle descent.

The GBT makes a 1/2 mile ridge line ascent up to the main event - Gregory's Bald - then continues another 2.5 miles to Doe Knob at the AT. Most of the travel is (at times sharply) downhill, but rallies for a final climb up to the knob.

The AT follows 3 miles of ridge line up and down through the rockiest part of the the loop, so by the time I arrived at the Twentymile Creek Trail, I was ready for my Naproxin for the final descent.

I found the TCT to be the perfect trail to finish a long day hike. Wide and easy to maneuver, it was obviously once a road of some sort, but shows no signs of erosion whatsoever and is even grassy in some parts - welcome qualities for sore feet going down hill. It switchbacks for a couple of miles until it reaches Campsite 92. Here, the trail widens even more, with a gentle descent of 3 miles back to the station. I've never been a fan of creek trails, but the TCT is a real beauty, with multiple horse bridge crossings - in fact, there are no stone hoppers on this entire hike.

This is a very rewarding loop that can be enhanced even more when the leaves are down - particularly on the ascent up the WRT.

But, the real gem is the relative seclusion of this often overlooked access into the park. On a brilliant September day, I was the only one to arrive at the small parking area and the only one to depart.

A must!

I Want To Start By Saying My Personal Experience Is What Dropped The Rating To A 3. We Decided To Do This Hike In 2 Days/1 Night. Making Pretty Good Time On The Way Up. I side-stepped A Rock, Rolled My Ankle, And Tweaked My Knee. That Made For A Rough Journey The Remaining 5 Miles Up And All Day The NeXt Day. Also, It Was The Coldest Night Of The Year To That Point And I Hadnt Adequately Prepped. The Hike Itself Was Steady Uphill The Whole Way. Calf Burner With No Remorse. 98% Of The Hike Is Thru The Woods With Not Much To Look At But The Incline In Front Of You. To Me, It Was A Nice Hike If You Have A Couple Of Days With Nothing To Do. Didnt Seem Like Much Of A Destination Hike. Nice Time Out In The Woods Though :) The Worst Day In The Woods Is Better Than The Best Day In Civilization!

I did this one day up wolf ridge and down long hungry. Wolf ridge is mildy rocky with a pretty step incline. Gergory bald is a great view would be better in the early spring or winter betore the folage gets thick. Cades cove can be seen easly fontana is hard to see once the leaves thicken up. Was a good hike but the only good view is the bald the rest of the trail is all forest with twentymile casades at the bottom. Campsite 13 was closed due bear activity I did fill up with water at the spring near by. It was 9 hours total for me with about 40min for lunch and looking around the bald.

Super 3 day, 2 night July 1-3. But smokies can be wet, so plan for rain - esp in afternoon and overnight! We were soaked to the bone. Thank goodness sky cleared on the summit! What a payoff!

This was my first big hike and it was a thigh burner for sure. I learned a lot on this trip. The hike was tough on long hungry ridge trail. Once we arrived on Gregory Bald it was awesome to see. My brother I did a 3 day on this trip. Would recommend to the avid backpacker....

Great 3 day, 2 night hike in the Smokies. Peak autumn colors with great views from an old rickety fire tower with a hole in the roof. Orioneid meteor showers from the top of Gregory Bald (saw about 50 shooting stars) followed by a spectacular dawn.

Great views from the fire tower and Gregory Bald

Route :

Day 1:Twentymile Ranger Station up Twenty Mile trail to Campsite #113... stopping by Shuckstack Fire Tower just south of the intersection of the AT.
Day 2: Up the AT to Doe Knob and Gregory Bald Trail to #13
Day 3: Return to Twentymile via Wolf Ridge.

Twentymile Ranger Station is at an elevation of about 1325'
Campsite #113 along the AT is at an elevation of about 3775'
Gregory Bald is at an elevation of about 4950' (with Sheep Pen Gap about 300' lower)

Twentymile Ranger Station and Campsite #113 on the AT are about 5.5 miles apart.
Campsite #113 on the AT and Sheep Pen Gap (#13) are about 5 miles apart.
Twentymile Ranger Station and Sheep Pen Gap (#13) are about 7 miles apart.

Twenty Mile Wolf Ridge Gregory's Bald
Very strenuous all day hike that's worth every penny. Best view in the GSMNP

Amazing. Relax and do the loop in two nights. Streams by both campsites, awesome view from the bald - plan to hang out for a while...

The trail leading up to Gregory Bald is quite steep and difficult. We camped about 1.5-2 miles into Twentymile Trail at campsite 13 and it was a beautiful spot next to running water. We completed the remaining 6 or so miles the next morning.. get ready for a good calf burn! You'll be gaining altitude the entire way.. but rest assured the reward of arriving at Gregory Bald was more than worth the pain and exhaustion!!! Absolutely stunning views.. awe inspiring almost 360 degree view of mountains as far as the eye can see. There's another campsite atop the bald just under a mile away that we stayed at. Not many people up there, but the ones we did come across were really great people.. the peace love and happiness type. It was an amazing adventure.