Spicewood Branch Trail

Spicewood Branch Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Wartburg, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail was in great condition, though with the dry weather there wasnt much water in any of the creeks or waterfalls. Great hike though!

Nice and easy trail. Well maintained. Was a little bit crowded at the waterfalls. Very good overall.

Awesome hike. Beautiful trails. Waterfalls. Challenging enough, and a wonderful view from the tower.

Truly a hidden gem. Frozen Head State Park is gorgeous and is always kept in top shape. I always stop by there when traveling close to that area. There is no prettier place to be during the fall. the trails are awesome. Love this Park!!!

Primitive camping spots are great. Loved being next to the water. Waterfalls were beautiful. The hike to tub springs was a disappointment. But half a mile up is the fire tower which was amazing!

Great place to backpack and hike.

I've been on many trails, this hands down is one of the prettiest that I've been on right up there with Virgin falls and Savage Gulf. Hiked up Emory Gap then up to Panther BranchTrail, this is an incline trail and a little challenging especially for first time hikers. From there to Tub Springs down to South Old
Mac Trail to Judge Branch and Interpretative Trail. Can't say enough of this beautiful hike. 6 hours 10 mile loop. What a wonderful day to spend Easter 2015

We spent most of our time by the camp fire at our site at Big Cove Campground. Site 19 was right on the creek and there was quite a bit of rushing water thanks to rain and the unusual amount of snow this year. This was the cleanest, best-maintained campground we have visited in a while. There wasn't a single piece of trash at the campground or on Bird Mountain Loop trail, and the bathrooms were cleaner than most public bathrooms I've ever used. You can tell that the people who run the park and campground love the place like its their own.

Being late in August when we made the trip to this park meant that the water levels were low but still worth the hike. We stopped first at Debord Falls made our way to the bottom for a look around and the rock overhang and to enjoy the cool air on a 90 degree day. We then made our way to Emory Falls. The low water level made this more of a drip than a fall but allowed us to get much closer. The hike is not too strenuous but care must be taken because of exposed roots and rocks especially after the first switchback.

I can't believe only 10 people have reviewed this hike including myself. Beautiful drive to the park,gorgeous well maintained trails, clear and clean waterfalls and swimming holes. One of my favorites here in Tennessee. The best part is that you'll never get stuck in traffic going to this hike! A hidden gem and a fun hike!

Amazing is not the word for this park. Trails are in great shape and there are beautiful camp sites. Cannot wait to go again and camp

Amazing trails! I would recommend going during the fall or winter. Most of the park consist of heavily wooded areas. I went in the middle of November for a few nights, it was perfect because the leaves were gone and I could see a lot farther. Otherwise I don't think it would be easy to see many of the overlooks. Check out the old fire watchtower, highest point in the Cumberland Mountains! Another interesting fact about this park area, James Earl Ray (the man who shot Martian Luther King) was sent to Brushy Mountain State Penitentiary which is located just outside of the park. Ray escaped in 1977 and was found hiding in a cave in the parks land. When police found him, he was more than happy to go back to prison because he was bitten up by snakes and bugs!!

What a wonderful place for family hiking!! We hiked up South Mack Trail & down Judge Branch, making a loop for a total of about 2.5 miles. Very well maintained trail. Along the trail we passed an old dynamite shack & later the trail crossed a shallow mountain stream that has enough flat rocks to make for a nice lunch stop. There is camping areas close to the trail head. There is restrooms and a water source at the trailhead. The visitor center has friendly staff who gives great info on the various trails (& there are a lot of trails here). Parking area C, has picnic area with playground equipment. We're going to hike this park again without the kids so we can do some of the longer trails.

Nice hike with scenery, camping and low/mod. difficulty. Don't follow GPS to park, but do follow the brown signs to park entrance.

MOST WELL MAINTAINED PARK! Foot paths are wide for the most part. Lovely views. Waterfalls. Shelters. Picnic areas. Gorgeous. difficulty is mild to moderate :)