Fiery Gizzard Trail

Fiery Gizzard Trail is a 17.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Tracy City, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

cave

old growth

The 12.5 mile trail is considered one of the top 25 hiking trails in the United States. Hikes can view spectacular rock formations, cascading streams, waterfalls, rocky gorges, panoramic overlooks and lush woodlands. It begins on top of Mont Eagle mountian and descends into Savage Gulf and private property. The creek that runs through is clean cold and gorgeous. Since it is private property there is one camp site where fire is not premitted. It is a difficult to strenous trail, but worth every step. It features great views waterfalls and primative home of the local indians. A must for any souther outdoorsman.

Nice hike, the Dog Hole trail is easier to walk on than all the rocks by the riverbank.

Hiked ravenwood loop 11/5. Wonderful hike. Not crowded at all and scenery the entire way gorgeous. Loved!!

Closed at ravens point due to fire so no thru hiking today

We didn't hike the whole 17 miles but we did stop at a few overlooks and it was spectacular! We want to go back when the leaves are at their prime fall colors.

difficult but worth every step to Ravens Point

Great views, decent climbs!

One of my favorite hikes so far. The hike itself doesn't provide a hardcore elevation change like some mountain hikers might be used to, but don't let that fool you. I'm a pretty experienced mountain hiker and I'd rate this hike as pretty strenuous.

The trail itself beginning at the Tracy City side starts out pretty rocky with minor ups and downs. Once you get out near Raven's Point you hike out of the canyon and that's where you'll get your elevation change.

Very beautiful, very scenic, very fun. I want to return again when we're in less of a drought.

Amazing. I could not recommend this highly enough. Being from Nashville, this is the closest there and back in one day hike that really does it for me. I usually do the first half of Fiery Gizzard and loop back on the Dog Hole trail, which makes it a gorgeous and challenging, 10 mile, 5-6 hour day hike.

Awesome Trail!! Daughter and I hiked with the 2 dogs, definitely coming back! Plenty of water for the dogs and swimming holes if you desire.

Hiked trail August 17 and 18.
Trail was marked VERY well. White trail marker with blue camp markers. I needed markers in several areas. Thank you friends of cumberland trail.
Many of the creeks were dry but could clearly see the dry beds. I started in the south at Foster Falls. Hiked first 2 miles in 1 hour. Very flat with a minor slope here and there. Great views in the first mile of cliffs, waterfall, mountains. The second mile was just a stroll through the woods. Mile 3 was difficult level and climbed over many rocks. made the trip exciting. The next 2-3 miles was a flat hike through the woods. I would recommend to stop at the end of mile three. I stopped at mile 6 and turned around, wish I had stopped at mile 3 after the difficult park with the rocks.
Positives:
1. No Mosquitoes, No Flys, only a few knats here and there.
2. Cell phone reception on AT&T throughout almost the entire trail
Great view and interseting for 1st three miles
3. Marked very well with white reflectors
Negative: Mile 2-3 and 4-6 was very boring and like a walk in the woods with minimal change in elevation

Great trail with moderate difficulty at spots. Waterfalls are awesome and fantastic for cooling off. Take your water shoes and a change of clothes. Scenery is great and campsites are nice.

Recently took a portion of the trail to introduce my daughter to backpacking. I love this trail. Started at Foster Falls parking area and after swimming at the falls, we hiked to Small Wilds campsite (2.4 miles). Recommend lots of bug spray. Beautiful views along the way.