Cummins Falls Trail

Cookeville, TN
Cummins Falls Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cookeville, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cummins Falls is a 3.2 mile out and back trail located near Cookeville, Tennessee that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Not to bad of a hike from the trail down to the falls. My wife and I got down to the river/falls area with ease. However, next time we come I'll remember to bring water shoes for when you get down to the water so it's easier to navigate through. We had an awesome time and would love to go back again sometime! Beautiful area with opportunity for plenty of pictures along the way.

Awesome swimming hole and falls... Only didn't get 5 stars from me because the crowds were outrageous!!! Would be such a cool place if it was so over crowded, in all my time hiking/camping in the South Appalachian/east Tennessee area I have never seen anything like!

Easy trail. Took the short trail to the falls and it took us 31 minutes walking fairly leisurely. This trail will destroy flip flops or cheap sandals so make sure you wear tennis shoes or hearty shoes. Will be walking through the water a significant amount and on rocks to get to the falls.

Loved this and we will be back. We arrived at the falls just before eleven and at the Parking lot at 10:15. Be sure to get there by then. There were about ten cars in the parking lot when we arrived and maybe 15 people at the falls. Within 30 minutes the people rate reached over 100. When we left at 3:00, there were 200 people at the falls and the parking lot was overflowed.

Nice trail. Great waterfall. Lots of stupid people trying to get to falls in flip flops. While we were there someone fell and required an ambulance. Very slippery.

Loved this hike. Half of the hike was through the stream and the waterfall was beautiful!

Good hike. Swimming portion was closed. Took the kiddos and would definitely do this again. Waterfall was nice and our doggies loved it. Went on the 16th of july.

Let me start from here that I am by no means a Hiker or explorer. I got a review and recommendation from one of my office friends and started planning July 4th vacation on this falls (along with Burgess Falls TN). I had a 2.4 yr old kid with me and I am big in size. A lot of reviews here complains about hike being very rugged and not so friendly, i think your experience depends on the season you visit as well as the time you start your hike. I won't consider this trail as too difficult or risky but yes you need to be careful and prepared ( i guess you also need to be careful always when you walk on the roadside, that is all about it). We start around 9:30 am but i recommend to start even early before 9. As the day progresses more and more people start coming in and in no time it becomes overcrowded ( Its not a place if you are looking for a peaceful secluded area) . We took the Downstream Trail that takes you to the actual main falls. There is another Overlook trail that leads to the top of the falls and just gives a sight of it. I would say if you are fit enough to walk 2-3 miles in an uneven ground , i highly suggest you take downstream trail. It took us around 1 hr 10 mins with sufficient break and kid's speed ( we had two, one more family with 4 yr old). Trail starts with a downward walk of around 0.75 miles with a drop alongside mountain. Most of this walk is easy , except there are few places where trail gets narrow and you need to be a little careful while passing, only one person can pass. Avoid this if its raining heavily as it can become quite slippery. As soon as you finish it you end up at river stream head , further path is in a river which can have ankle to knee deep water and streams. At places it is having rocks those are slippery, just watch out for them, walk slowly, confirm that the rock is not moving before stepping all of your weight on it. After walking around 0.4-0.5 miles in the river you can see the falls , there will be some big boulders which you need to climb and it will get you there. There is big pool like area with 5-6 feet deep water, 12-15 feet long , 30 feet wide ( some people were saying at few points it can be 8-10 feet deep). You can officially swim there , it is allowed and written outside, there will ample amount of red color life jackets ( PFD's) supplied by State park management both kid and adult size. Please have kids wear that even though they are good swimmers and anyone who is not a good swimmer should wear it. Once you cross that part ( either by walking 5.5 feet and taller or by swimming) you reach the lower level of the falls, from the side with the help of a big tree trunk you can climb to next level and further up to the next 2 levels. This part is surely quite slippery as compared to any other part in the fall, but definitely manageable with good support of each other. Our kids went to the 2nd level. You can actually sit under the main falls at the top and that water is so warm, you'll like in heaven. The whole sight is breathtaking and every step is worth reaching there. We spend around 3 hrs swimming , climbing (There are couple of cliffs from there you can dive into the water, officially allowed) There were 1 or 2 rangers to help in case of emergency but not many. Then we started walking back via same route and took us around an hour. The last part where you finish walking in river and start climbing up is little laborious and need some strength. So keep some energy to finish that piece. All in all this is a fantastic place to visit with family, parking and entry is absolutely free. Just a few pointers which may help you plan your visit,, choose a right season Apr to Sep , reach there early between 8-9 to avoid crowd and give yourself sufficient time to walk and hike , spend time and come back. For the ones with families no problems with older kids 5+ , for smaller kids those can walk 2-5 yrs , it can be easily manageable if your kids like walking in water and not scared of height. For very small children take them into carriers and ask yourself if you can climb up and down holding them. Must take water bottles 2-3 , towel , sun glasses and cap if it is hot and most most important, water shoes or hiking shoes or anything with a good grip, avoid flip flops or sandals, even a good sport shoe would do but it can get wet and heavy and can make walking difficult. Folks like me with heavy body , take a walking stick, it really helped me a lot to take support and to see how deep water is in the slippery parts covered with water. A must go place if you love nature and water bodies and are ready for some workout. Please keep weather in mind while planning the visit , go in a group for visitors in family , pack light and that's all. I hope this review will help many folks.

The most beautiful place I had ever seen

This is the MOST beautiful hike! Most of the actual hike is IN the river, walking up stream against the current, with sloppy rocks, but not too difficult at all. Then when you reach the actual falls, you are breathless! There is a "pool" like area you can literally swim In, and can go behind the fall itself! There are different levels of the fall you can climb.
Again, not too difficult at all, put it this way, kids were hiking it!
But it is magical!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!
A MUST SEE AND DO!!!

This was amazing!!! It's not a long trail. Part of the trail is on a side of a mountain. So if you bring a dog, it better be stable. One slip, and you're a goner. There were people that brought their large dogs. People enjoyed watching them. I saw a lady bring her small dog EVERYWHERE. Even in the water fall. Lol. I would NOT wear flip flops because they feel like they pull on your upper feet. I would NOT wear crocs because they get rocks in them, slip on every little thing. Wear sneakers, hiking shoes, hiking sandals. Anything with a GRIP. Lol When I can back from the water fall, I saw a path going straight up a hill. Oh! Carry a walking stick! It's amazing!!! I went up the muddy, slippery hill, with my stick. Make sure, to carry light backpack or just a armband cellphone case! If you try to go up the hill, you will finally reach a part where it JUST goes up, well, there are steps to the right side that lead you around a tree. Then you'll be at the wooden fence, near a sign that saying something about waterfall sighting from up top. Parking is free. They have bathrooms next to the parking lot.

This trail has its challenges but is a blast. I encourage everyone to make it down there.

Wow what a place! get there early cause it gets real busy. lots of room for people but to many and we'll ya know.

This trail is by no means "easy". The first half going down to the river isn't hard but getting to the falls is somewhat challenging. Its very rocky and you need to be cautious of your step or you will hurt yourself. Too crowded. A lot of drunk TTU students spending the day. Maybe a do once kind of thing but I don't intend to go back. It's beautiful though

Overcrowded, with a lot of riffraff. Awesome waterfall but not the place to go if you're looking to hike or enjoy a minute of peace and quiet.

The info posted above is totally inaccurate. This is a very rugged trail, not suitable for small children and dangerous for swimming. This info is posted at the park entrance so I can't believe the crowds of people who come unprepared for hiking with small children and babies! There are several points you have to cross rushing water to get to the falls. Also, it has become a party hangout for teens so the rangers have to do bag checks! For family outing go to Fall Creek Falls

the information above is totally inaccurate. This is a very rugged trail and they DO NOT RECCOMEND small children. This information is posted at park entrance! There have been several drownings and lots of accidents. Many people come ill prepared i.e. flipflops, or other non hiking clothing, small children and babies! You must cross water to get to the falls and rocks are slippery. If you are a hiker, this would be a great place if it weren't so crowded with these idiots who gave no business being there. If you want to swim with your kids, go to Fall Creek Falls where there are trails for all skill levels and a safer swimming area. They also provide life jackets.