Cucumber Gap and Little River Loop Trail

Cucumber Gap and Little River Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Gatlinburg, Tennessee that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Great family hike! I would describe it as mostly easy as most elevation gain is very gradual. The trail along the Little River is wide enough for 4 hikers abreast with a mostly flat surface. Loose rocks under the carpet of Fall leaves
make twisting an ankle a possibility. Trekking poles are helpful. The view of the Little River is beautiful and the sounds of the water cascading over the rocks is relaxing. The terrain of Cucumber Gap is more variable in elevation and surface with loose rocks and ruts hiding beneath the leaves. Here again trekking poles are valuable.

Cucumber Gap is a lovely trail in the fall. Nice views and a pleasant climb.

Lovely trail! we did the loop with the hard part (Jack's Trail) first and it was a big climb. As we moved onto the Cucumber Gap portion, it was cool and mystical. Loved it and will do it again. Maybe every season to see the difference.

Really enjoyed this one, some hills, variable scenery and terrain as it cuts through woods and also goes along the river. My favorite of the hikes we did.

This hike was pretty easy. We hiked about 2 miles into it and the 5 of us had wine on a huge rock in the middle of the river. This was certainly one of the highlights of the trip.

My husband and I love this trail. We've now hiked it 5 times. Most people start at the lower parking lot and go along the creek first, 2.4 miles flat easy hiking, but we like to start, and I recommend starting at the upper parking lot to do the hard stuff first (steady uphill for a few miles) so the last 2.4 miles along the creek are easier and you can even take a dip in the creek if you feel adventurous. Park at the top and the trail begins at the left- wide gravel path. You'll go past the dilapidated summer homes and eventually make a left at the trail head. You will come out at the lower parking lot though and follow the road back up the hill to get to the car at the end. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! :)

Started the hike on the trail going clockwise so that we could enjoy seeing the river the first 2.5 miles of the trail. Trail turns right then ascends up the mountain for the next mile before dropping down for the last 1.5 miles. Enjoyed the solitude as we only passed one other pair of hikers about 3 miles into the trail.

It was a great, peaceful hike. I definitely recommend starting by the old Appalachian club (which is absolutely awesome and I am kind of upset I haven't seen it before!) and walking it that way. It's all uphill to begin with, but gets much easier. I saw a black bear cub but no mom. It's not a trail you need to stay alert on, just remain aware. I will definitely have to do it again.