Cosby Self-Guided Nature Trail

Cosby Self-Guided Nature Trail is a 1.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cosby, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

I used this trail several times as a field trip for my sons when we were home schooling. It is easy and has lots of interesting things to look at.

Campground was not crowded at all. Maybe only 20% of sites occupied. I'd been worried about finding a spot and was told Cosby is rarely full. We hiked the short 1 mile Nature trail 2 times since wife hurt her foot and couldn't walk up hill. The Nature trail was very good and one of best hikes i've ever found. Walked the road down to highway which was surprising nice, easy, tall trees and along river for quiet a while and few cars. It was 2 1/2 from campground.
Will go here again if we ever come back to SMNP.

This is our go-to campground whenever we stay in the Smokies. The campground is spacious with areas for tents and RVs. The past few times we've been there sections of the campground were closed due to brown bear activity, but in the 4 or 5 times we've been there we haven't seen a single bear ourselves.
The facilities include a couple small bathrooms with toilets and sinks, but no showers. We like roughing it so a swim in a stream during a hike is our version of a shower. :)
We usually go the second week of June and its never very crowded at that time.

We took the trailhead in Cosby campground up to the AT. It was a relatively easy hike not to mention completely shaded.

It was not terribly exciting and being in the woods the entire time means no good views.

Really it is a means to an end for getting on the AT. I wouldn't hike it just for fun.