Fire Tower Trail

Fire Tower Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Kingsport, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

haven't been hiking since 1999. Good trail to start. Rain was rolling in so there was a lot of wind while climbing the tower. Awesome view though.

Short easy hike with good views

This was a great hike and the view from the fire tower is amazing! The trip up was a little harder than I expected but it was well worth it. The fire tower is not for people who are afraid of heights and it is a little rickety when climbing!

Great hike with wonderful views from top of the tower

Very strenuous hike, but the view at the top is well worth it. One of my favorite hikes of the area.

Absolutely beautiful views but a really strenuous hike. Very steep uphill at some places. However, it's well worth it. You have to pay $3 to park but after you hike it's nice to go around the park and see the wildlife exhibits. Be sure to eat a good meal before this! I was starving when I finally made it back to the car.

Great hike to the best view of Kingsport. Believe it or not, it's not all Eastman that you can see! I've been up sketchier fire towers than this but this one is still not for the faint of heart.

Good hike! Some steep uphills and beautiful scenery. The tower is a little sketchy but the view is well worth it. There are so many trails that lead all over Bays Mountain, can't wait to explore them all. Saw two deer on the way and they just walked right on by just out of arms reach. It was very cool!

View from the fire tower is nice, but quite the hike there. The tower is also in bad condition and is quite scary to go up and down. Traffic at the top can be busy as well, so not a lot of opportunity to take in the view from the top.

I took the lakeside trail then the spur to the fire tower. The 0.7 spur to the fire tower does give the opportunity for some cardio work, but I managed it okay. After a brief breather at the top, I even climbed the stairs to the top of the tower, which offered great views. I took another trail down to connect back to lakeside and continued around the lake to make about a 4.5 mile loop trail. There are many trails and combinations that can be hiked at Bays Mountain Park.

I'm going to assume this is the Lakeside Trial at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport, TN, combined with the Fire Tower spur trail. I did this hike on May 27, 2013 (Memorial Day) in near-perfect conditions. I started just before 10:00 a.m., and met few people until the latter end of the hike. This is a good leg-stretcher if you only do the 2.4 mile Lakeside Trail. Add in the .7 mile (each way) spur to the Fire Tower, and you've got a lung-stretcher, too, as you make a steep ascent in places. I chose this trail to break in a new pair of hiking shoes, and it was a most pleasant 2+ hour hike. (I had to pay $4 at the gate to drive up to the park, but it was well worth it.)