Cable Trail

Cable Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Spencer, TN that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

This was our first hike in Tennessee and it was amazing! The views were beautiful, but I was not prepared for this trail. We thought we were at a different one.

You start off hiking, then your rock climbing. But once you reach the bottom, its well worth it. ;)

Its amazing I'm not going to spoil it but it's easy once you get down a certain part definitely try it though

Great view of falls from the bottom!!!

It was worse going down than coming back up. The view at the bottom was well worth the climb down. The falls were barely running.. but still worth it..

Somewhat challenging but definitely worth it. Certain parts of trail you will not be able to hold on to cable. It was easier going up if you could believe it. Awesome view at the bottom.

Absolutely stunning! Everything you could want in a trail and waterfall(s). Little known fact, these falls were filmed in the 1994 Jungle Book ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF-e8yveajw )

We did it years ago and loved it but do not have the upper arm strength to do it now.

very difficult but fun

My friend and I did the cable trail today and it is a once in a lifetime type experience. Like others have said, there is literally a cable running down the center of the trail and you will use it, at times it is the only thing that keeps you from toppling down the 120 feet to the bottom. The trail doesn't appear too steep at the top but it gets very rough about 20-25 feet into it. I'm 5'8" tall and there was one part where I had to hold on and slide on my rear end down a rock until my feet touched the next rock - but every last bit of sweat was worth it to see Cane Creek Falls and Rockhouse Falls from the bottom. The "beach" area is very rocky but it looks to be great for swimming. We had our lunch on the far left side, we felt occasional drops from the waterfall that cooled us down. You can scramble around on the rocks and work your way to the area behind Rockhouse Falls, which makes for some really great photos. We were the only people down in the area for about twenty minutes and then we were joined by three other people. I would NOT recommend small children on this trail, it would be impossible to hold them and descend (or ascend on the return) and keep them safe. One wrong move could mean life or possible death, so don't take your chances with your children. Large, fit dogs should be just fine, I also would NOT recommend small dogs with short legs. Wear good hiking shoes or boots/shoes with a lot of and put EVERYTHING in your pack, you'll need your hands the entire way! Have fun and take your time!

Fall Creek Falls has so many great trails but the cable trail is my favorite. What it lacks in length it makes up for in difficulty. The views from the base of both Rockhouse and Cane Creek Falls are stunning as is the rhododendron in late Spring.

Tough going down. It was early and wet from recent rain. I was surprised how I managed to figure out best way down. Once I got down, it was very
Much worth it. What a view. October 11th so it was very nice in addition to the falls. The trek back up was easier in one way but more difficult in another way. When I got to the top. I was out of breath and legs burnings like fire. Took a short break, couple gulps of water and this 53 year old man continued along paw paw.

'Only recommended for very experienced outdoorsmen' may be a bit of an exaggeration. No, the trail is not for everyone, but if you are in decent health and wearing adequate footwear it's not an issue. My two 20 pound dogs did it no problem, may be a little scary trying to bring children. Though, I did see some swimming in the swimming hole at the bottom. It looks scarier than it is. The first part of the trail runs through the woods, near the road. Once you come to the cable, there's a very steep drop, and you will have to navigate down the rocky wall. Not so much an issue with the cable to hold onto. If you make it down, the view at the end is extraordinary. Two different falls, one from the river, one from the creek, into a beautiful pool of water. Oddly, the water temperature fluctuates from warm to freezing. Since the trail is intimidating, it's not a very crowded swimming spot. The hike up is easier than the hike down. Very rewarding!

Probably my favorite trail at Fall Creek Falls. Not only does the steepness of the rocks leading down the trail make you feel like Indiana Jones navigating down the 100ft descent, but the end result is spectacular. I was the only person around early in the morning and the snow above the grove was beautiful as it complimented the rock faces surrounding the falls perfectly. I sat on a boulder in the middle of the stream watching the falls for several hours and just enjoyed the peacefulness. Be careful when climbing back up as it can be tricky when wet.