Lone Oak to Tip Top Trail

Lone Oak to Tip Top Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Johnson City, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Mostly uphill with a lot of switchbacks This is a very nice trail located 5 minutes from ETSU. It is easy to follow, but there are several spurs off the main trail. It is worth taking a look at them if you want to make a longer hike. Everything is well marked, so getting lost isn't a problem. In mid-spring, take the time to follow ladyslipper loop. You will see numerous ladyslippers in bloom. Please be careful if you venture off the trail as the ladyslippers like to grow right on the edge of the path. Huckleberries are very plentiful here in the summer, but the local wildlife depends on them as a major food source, so it isn't a great place to go to pick large quantities. The view from Tip Top is nice, but is more wooded than White Rock. You can make the trail a loop if you follow the high ridge trail to White Rock, then take the White rock trail to the parking area.

I give this 4 stars because I guess I was expecting some big scenery lol it was a good challenging trail! Had one stop with a picnic table and then another at the top! So was very convenient! The whole way up it is a lot of beautiful scenes!

Great if you're looking for a challenge. Be prepared to go uphill!

First mile is the most difficult followed by an
easy .5 mile then another steep incline. Coming down from Tip Top is also a bit of a challenge if you are out of shape like me. Found 3 ticks so watch out for that, a few mosquitos, and beautiful butterflies. I'm glad I went and I recommend it.

Pretty cool little hike. A bit steep but worth it. Going back down was super quick. I recorded a bit over 2 miles hiking to the second picnic area, so 4+ miles in and out. At the second picnic area another trail continues off of it so potentially you could do more adventuring if you wanted. Definitely will be back.

A very addictive trail if you like steep grades and amazing views. I have been hiking this the last couple of days after work around sunset and it'd been pretty amazing. It's one of the best cardio work outs I've done in a while. It's so close to Johnson City you can't go wrong.

I started today from Lone Oak Road going 2 miles and 1000 feet incline to Tip Top. That track was called Buffalo Mountain part 1. From there I went to White Rock and the radio towers on down to the alternate parking area and trail head. That was Buffalo Mountain part 2. From there i went to the main parking lot and took the Cascade trail to Tip Top again before descending the 22 mile trail to my car. My iphone ran out of batteries but I save the last track as Buffalo Mountain part 3. All in all it was 5 hours and probably 12 miles for which the last three were untracked.

I usually trail run here since it's so close to the city and few people know about it and even fewer want to venture there since the elevation gain is so steep. That being said, the trail provides many wonderful views and naturally makes for the toughest run that I've ever attempted. In any case, if you're looking for a good hike and you don't want to drive far from Johnson City then this is the perfect trail for you.