Brushy Mountain Trail

Brushy Mountain Trail is a 11.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gatlinburg, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Hiked up from Grotto Falls. Real nice climb beautiful view. With cute and tiny foot path at the end.

I enjoy unique challenges on a trail but the overgrown briar patches were brutal on my legs. Should've worn pants. Views up top made it all worth it.

Gets your blood pumping. Hiked through from Grotto falls. I liked the narrow intimate path that leads to the 360 view at the end. My guide said there was a clearing at the summit, but there was none. Saw one snail, mole and squirrel on the way.

To reach the Brushy Mountain trail, drive to the end of the road at the Greenbrier section of the GSMNP and hike in 1 mile on the Porters Creek trail. At the circle, Porters Creek trail continues left. Brushy Mountain trail is on the right just past the short spur to the Messer barn and historic Smoky Mountain Hiking Club cabin, worth a visit. The Brushy Mountain trail climbs steadily and in some spots steeply with some views of Mt. LeConte and the high ridges of the Smokies along the way. As you near Trillium Gap Brushy Mountain comes into view. The ridge that makes up the mountain is covered with rhododendron and sand myrtle, so it is easy to recognize. At 4.5 miles you reach Trillium Gap. Make a right turn to stay on the trail to the summit. It is 0.4 mi. to the top with good views of Mt. LeConte on the right side and Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge on the left. Short spur trails lead to a couple viewpoints. The return is back the way you came. This out-and-back hike is a good workout - about 3000 ft. elevation gain - but with some nice views and small waterfalls along the way.

Adam Prather is spot on in his review. I can't remember a trail I detested more. Best part was the Trillium Gap junction that leads to Mt. LeConte which was my terminus.

Not a fan. I hiked from Mt LeConte to Porters Creek trail and did not enjoy my time spent on this trail. This trail apparently doesn't see much traffic considering the overgrowth that I waded through in parts. I also hacked through dozens of spiderwebs along my way; I was a lumberjack of spiderwebs...a spiderwebjack if you will. The only saving grace is that this is in the Smoky Mts therefore there was some beauty to be seen on this peregrination.

Hiked via Porter Creek trail in early May. There were plenty of wild flowers but the Rhododendrons where not in bloom yet. The view from the top was spectacular. The trail appears not to be used much as there was heavy growth and narrow up to the top. Do not forget to see the more than 130 year old homestead near the Brushy mountain trail head.

We started this hike at Porters Creek in the spring. The trail was narrow and thick with small plants. It was very thick on each side of us and we could not see very far in either direction. There was rhododendron boiling along the way. We were seeing bear scat about every hundred yards which made us nervous. Once we arrived at the top the view was spectacular. When we arrived back at Porters Creek we decided to hike up to a waterfall I read about. I thought the falls would be to our right as Porters Creek was rushing along there. We didn't find it and was just shy of the campground so we started back. We finally found the falls on the opposite side once we were close to the trailhead. It had gotten a little dark so our pictures were not the best.

Eric and Karen

Hiked to the top Via the Grotto Falls trail. Very crowded up to the falls, but then we left the Crowd behind. Its only about 6 or 7 miles if you take the Grotto Falls trail. The Views from the top are absolutely breathtaking, and there is alot to see on the way! One of my favorite hikes so far.

I have made this trip four times already. I just love the view. It is a pretty moderate hike, but for me well worth it. It's about 3 miles each way. The path is pretty easy until you get past Grotto Falls. If you have a few hours you want to spend on a peaceful hike I would definitely recommend it.