Birchfield camp lake

Birchfield camp lake is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Erwin, TN that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

6.3 miles 1961 feet Out & Back

old growth

The trail starts by going over an aging bridge that is slippery. The trail is an old logging road that starts off maintained. The trail leads to Higgins creek falls and then continues on up the creek. Birchfield creek is the first left path you come too. It is unmarked and overgrown

This was a hard hike! Uphill until you reach the "Lake". This was a beautiful hike, found people up to the first Waterfall, and once we went past it, we only found one more couple and their dogs.
Well, the only reason why I did not put 5 stars was because I was expecting a lake... however what you will find is a retaining Pond. So thinking I was going to see a Lake, to find a Retaining pong was not was I was expecting and it was disappointing... But the hike itself was awesome and such a workout!
So after going uphill for what seems forever, you will find somewhat of an intersection, A tree on your left has a carving of the letters H & G (if i remember correctly) this is where you have to make a left and follow that trail to the "Lake/Pond". Then once you make that left, its so wonderful and strenuous hike up, worth it! just cause the hike itself, not so much the pond....
Hope this helps and does not discourage to get to know this area, its worth it for sure, just don't go expecting to see a lake at the end! :-)

Not the easiest hike but oh so very worth it. My girlfriend and I went on an overcast day and got rained on a good bit but the trail was extremely beautiful and it was very secluded. The sun came out as we headed back down the mountain which made for an even more beautiful return trip. The most only heightened the creek and falls.

only made it to the first waterfall (maybe 1.5 miles), but was a good hike.. hope to go back very soon and get to the lake.

Great hike. Long sustained climb once you turn onto birchfield creek. It kept my heart rate elevated! 5 stars because of the solitude and the pond at the top. Trail on birchfield camp is washed out in a lot of places, but it made it a really interesting scramble. Just keep following the creek up. I would recommend waterproof shoes and maybe trekking poles depending on the time of year. There were a lot of creek crossing. There was also snow and below freezing temperatures the day I completed this hike. It took about 3 hours including a detour when I followed lower higgins creek up to some of the upper waterfalls. There really aren't any long range views if you follow this trail and turn around at the pond.

It was a long hike and just when you think the trail wont end you see the old log truck . Beautiful views of the lake, and a great place to stop and have lunch.