Beech Bottom Trail

Beech Bottom Trail is a 11.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alaculsy, TN that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Note: Shorter road to trailhead is in terrible condition and washed out. Beech bottoms Trail is a short trail (approx. 4mi) that is used primarily as a day hike access trail to the Jacks River Falls. It is a wide, easy trail to follow with mild inclines and declines. It has several spots where you can see out over the Jacks River valley and is a highly recommended trail.

great hike in. found the falls, did some camping. was great to get off the grid for the weekend.

Attempted this hike last week, however I never found the falls. I started late so didn't want to spend a lot of time searching to avoid hiking back when it was getting dark. I will try it again when I return to Georgia.

amazing, road to trail was a bitch but the falls and cliff jumping made it all worth it...and seen a mama and 2 small cubs perfect day

The roads to the trailheads were awful. Rocky and potholes galore. Signs and trail markers were just as bad. All that being said the trail and hike rocked. start at the top trailhead and work your way down. We saw 3 bear off the trail today. trails are fairly smooth at tops get a little Rocky near the river. Camping off the trail isn't an option due to how steep it is. definitely make camp near the basin area. bring shoes to get wet

Jacks River Falls\Beech Bottom Trail - Sun May 15, 2016 - Attempt #2
Nothing good can be said about this entry road. It’s a long trek to Beech Bottom Western Trailhead. There are two roads and they are both mostly gravel with many rough areas. The US Forestry Service really confuses things here. At the ‘Jacks River Western Trailhead’ they place a large sign stating Jacks River ‘Beech Bottom’. This IS NOT the short trail entry point and is NOT Beech Bottom Trail. Approx another 6 miles of terrible road leads to yet another EXACT US Forestry Sign that declares Jacks River Beech Bottom, again. This is the true trailhead to ‘Beech Bottom Trail’. My first attempt was halted about 3 miles in to the entry road after the western trailhead by a fallen tree across the road. I never made it to the trailhead on that attempt. My second attempt (and this writing) got me to the parking area and the ‘Beech Bottom Creek Trailhead’. The trail is great, at least until the bottom. Mostly wide and easy to follow. Elevation changes are easy. There is one section that has a detour that moves parallel to the original old trail. It appears that the original suffered a major debris occurrence and a by-pass was adapted. The by-pass rises a bit but the small creek feeder creek and old trail can be kept in sight. The trail by-pass rejoins the original trail after a very small creek crossing. The trail continues until approx. the 3.5 mile location when it finally descends to the bottom area and Beech Bottom Creek. (NOT JACKS RIVER). This is where our second attempt ended. The trail has no marking other than a small US Forestry sign stating no camping. We searched and finally located the trail approx. 60-80 feet across Beech Bottom Creek. We though remained uncertain as it seemed to be moving away from the sound of the falls. Pre-planning was too weak, yuck. We then ran into a fellow hiker. He mentioned this was his third attempt and he too had been confused by the trails in this area. Today he had gone further down the trail we had found but ultimately turned back has he too thought it was moving away from the sound of the falls (It was, but that’s the continuation of Beech Bottom Trail as we’ve now learned). He came back and worked his way down Beech Creek and off trail and ended up at the Falls but said he had to make several wet crossing. Not knowing just how far and how rough this was we abandoned our second attempt and headed back out. Now with fresh familiarity and review of the maps we figure we were within a half mile of the falls by going down Beech Creek until it hit Jacks River. The Beech Bottom Creek trail if followed does move away for a while but then intersects the Jack River trail and returns to the falls but that loop adds a mile to the hike but is probably worth it.
A note: This hike itself, at least as far as we got, is very easy. Not overly scenic as other trails that have water along them but very remote and quiet and the forest is full. The entry roads are horrible, I’d not do this with a car especially one with performance tires, though we did see a Mini Cooper make it all the way in. (We were in an SUV) Its extremely remote. Other reviews mention bears and snakes. I’ll take my pistol and maybe machete next time and should have had them this time. On a beautiful Sunday we saw approx. eight other hikers and it’s the most remote area I’ve hiked in Georgia. Cell service is lost very early on the entry road though we did pick it back up a couple of times but very briefly and very weak. I’m going to make one more attempt at Jacks River Falls but will wait for the temps to go up. When I get to the falls I want to enjoy the several pools I’ve seen from others pic’s.

Horrid. The road in was beyond horrid. Forget this short easy hike if you want to see the waterfall and just take the long route. We had to turn around bc the road...which i use the word "road" very loosely...was washed out. We are in a brand new 4wheel drive truck. Good luck if you bring your Prius thinking you are going to get to a nice easy hike. I'm betting everyone else that has reviewed this hike road their Clydesdale in to the trail head. Disappointed is an understatement.

fly fishing

Modest hike but the falls are beautiful. Take your fly pole and fish for Brookies sour of falls; but note that they are easily spooked.

Read the reviews and everyone said what a wide easy trail it was. Wrong. Admittedly, I'm not a hiker but this is no stroll down a country road as the reviews led me to believe. Plus, there are no vista views. Road getting to this location rough. Other cars zipping along drifting into your lane in sharp curves. Drivers beware. Very disappointed.

Fun

Guy below mentioned bears. If you're camping, remember to take ALL your food, toothpaste, anything with a smell, and put it in a single container, then take that container 100-300 feet downwind of your campsite and off the trail. Find a tree with a good overhanging branch at least ten feet off the ground, throw a line over and hoist your food bag up and tie it off. Bears can be clever and this method is not foolproof, but just getting your food away from camp at night will reduce the chance of bear attacks or intrusions on you or someone else in the future. It's good for humans, and keeps the bears alive as well. Alternately, you can use a bear canister for your food, which is a lot easier. Be safe and have fun out there.

Up and downs at first with a steady drop to the valley floor. Watch out for jagged rocks as you approach the falls. Camp in the designated area please and pack out your trash. For Campers---Bears! They don't seem aggressive, they just want some food. Most recent trip, a mother had her 3 cubs steal our food pack. They are very good a scheming the best of his heists.

Great trail to see the falls no matter what your experience level. The trail is really wide and flat, kinda like walking a dirt road. It's a much easier route than the Jacks River Trail if you just want to get to the falls without having to wade your way there. The falls are spectacular, too, and there are a few campsites in the area.

I love this trail I have hiked it many times. It is a beautiful area. I would live on this trail.

Very nice hike. Road getting there is very long and rough. We saw a large black cat (Panther) as we were leaving. Very exciting.

Easy trail but absolutely amazing scenery. The falls where amazing! We had about 2 inches of rain two days before our trip so the volume over the falls was incredible. Highly recommend it if you like falls and beautiful forest. I will be back!

I have used this trail mainly for backpacking. You walk along a wide easy trail fro about four miles until you make it to the creek once at the bottom you make a right and head towards the falls. It is absolutely gorgeous in the fall although you can not camp here until November due to overuse. The falls are spectacular!