Appalachian Trail: Dennis Cove to Laurel Fork Gorge

Appalachian Trail: Dennis Cove to Laurel Fork Gorge is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Hampton, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from May until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wow. A very nice trail. The trail indicates a blue trail marker but the trail mainly had white ones after the trailhead. The turn off the main trail to go to Laurel Falls isn't marked with a trail name marker. You will turn left and go down the stone steps to the bottom for a spectacular view of the falls. We loved it. We also loved that they put in stone steps because it makes it easier to navigate. We will be back for another visit to hike the other trails located at this location.

Nice hike with even footing most of the way. The last bit going down to the base of the falls has many stone steps to negotiate, but the falls are magnificent and well worth the effort.

great hike down to falls. trail is well taken care of
nice bridge over water and steps along the way.

We started at our Dennis cove campsite and walked to the coon den falls starting point. Pretty steep going up to the falls. Back tracked and followed it to the AT and made a loop out of it. The falls where beautiful and there's is a beautiful spot on the AT if you go right back towards Dennis cove that looks out over the mountains. A must seen.

One of my favorite day hikes!

We hiked this trail with our children, ages 9 and 4. We started at the Dennis Cove AT Trailhead and found the overall experience to be wonderful! We found entering the left hand (of the 4 entrances) was the correct one after speaking with several other hikers. The trail was shady and offered plenty of spots for us to hike down and see the water and to climb up and see the mountains. The trail was mostly easy to follow, and an enjoyable hike until it was time to start down towards the falls. The hike down to the falls just needs to be taken slowly and carefully. Once down to the falls, we took a long water break while enjoying the sounds and sights of the waterfall, and then played in the chilly water for a bit before beginning our ascent to the top. We will definitely be back here for another day hike.

Amazing. One of my favorite day hikes.
Have done it dozens of times since 1972

Hiked to the falls. It was beautiful. The treck down to the actual waterfalls is all downhill down a stone staircase. It is a difficult trip back up those stairs to the top. Bring water and take breaks.

I only hiked from Dennis Cove to the falls but it was a pretty easy hike. the hardest part of the hike is climbing back up the main trail after going down to visit the falls. There are rocks that work as gigantic stair steps on your way back up so be prepared to get a little burn going in your quad muscles. If all you want to do is visit the falls you shouldn't even need to carry a back pack although a bottle of water might be a good thing. And don't forget your camera because this is one of the bigger waterfalls in the area. I last visited the falls in August 2012.

If your looking for a great hike with all different terrain types then this is for you. This hike gives you a bit of everything you want. I have hiked this trail many times in my life, as I was born and raised in the town the hiking location is at. The changes in terrain keeps you on your toes and lets you enjoy the full experience of an actual hike as well as a wonderful reward at the end with a beautiful view of the falls at all times during the year. The hike can be made by almost anyone, there are few uphill challenges but they can be easily conquered. All in all, wonderful hike.

I hiked to Laurel Falls from the Hampton side and was really impressed with the trail and all of the different things to see. The waterfall is very impressive and definitely plan on going back in warmer weather and also to hike in from the Dennis Cove end. Great hike and wonderful waterfall.

Everytime I Hike this trail I feel Like I find another offshoot to explore which typically takes me to a nice tranquil environment of solitude.

The trail from Dennis Cove to Laurel Fork Falls (the Appalachian Trail) is probably my all-time favorite, and I've hiked it probably 15-20 times. Today was another great experience; it had snowed a couple of days ago, so going down the stone steps to the falls was a nervous affair for a 58-year-old guy, but well worth it. The falls today were as full as I've ever seen them, and the trail itself is worth the hike. One of the loveliest stretches of hiking I know. Highly recommended!

Another of my favorites! Have done this one twice in recent months as an in/out trail with visitors, and numerous times as a pass-thru section on the AT.
Can be VERY crowded in the summer months! and challenging in the winter.
Love this area!!

Overall a pretty good hike. Probably 3/4 of the trail is cleared and easy hiking. The last 1/4 of the hike is fairly demanding unless your in awesome shape. You have a climb down to the falls and back up, pretty steep and rocky, almost like steps. Once at the falls, there is a very scenic, woodsy area and swimming hole.