Appalachian Trail: Carver's Gap to Yellow Mountain Gap

Appalachian Trail: Carver's Gap to Yellow Mountain Gap is a 15.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roan Mountain, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail is marked with the AT white blaze and easy to follow. Begin at Carver's Gap and climb Round Bald. Descend into Engine Gap and then climb Jane Bald. After descending Jane Bald the AT turns left, there is a .5 mile side trail here to the summit of Grassy Ridge. Continue on the AT through the forest, there will be some switch backs, and the Stan Murray shelter will be reached at 3.7 miles. Continue down into Yellow Mountain Gap where the AT intersects with The Overmountain Victory Trail. Take the Overmountain Victory Trail to the right and you will arrive at The Overmountain Shelter in 0.3 miles. Once you're at the shelter you can stay the night or enjoy the hike back out to the trail head!

One of the most beautiful sections of the AT.

A magnificent Western NC hike! Some portions are a little steep but the good thing is they do not last long, and you get constant downhill relief for all of the uphill stretches so it's not too bad on the legs. The balds are a sight to see and definitely take the short side trek to the Grassy Ridge. I also loved the short mix of forest in places.

My wife and I, first time on the AT and this portion was outstanding! Met some great people on the way and camped near "the barn"! Great community there! We will definitely be back!

Great hike. Well maintained.

Beautiful views, steep in some areas, afterwards stop at Smoky Moubtain bakery for the best pizza ever!

I have done this trail since I was young and continue to do it as an elderly not "mighty woman" recreational hiker. It is a beautiful hike with few uncomfortable stepping zones. A superb spring wildflower hike with ramps, fringed gentian (I think) beautiful wildflowers in abundance with rolling hill views. It goes up gently but relentlessly, and I can do it because I hike with unhurried people.

This was a great hike even though it was overcast the entire time and heavily clouded at the top which didn't make for great pictures of the scenery. This was a very strenuous hike, even more so than Margarette Falls which is rated 2 diamonds. It took me 4 hours although I was only able to track the way there before running out of battery. The way back is much easier than the way there and of course your could always continue on to the other Balds or even to Carvers Gap. FYI, I passed multiple AT hikers who were looking for water sources while on this section of the AT.

The North Carolina stretch of the AT is a wonderful trip. In spite of a stretch of rough weather, the trail through the Smoky Mountains will be one of the better memories of my trek.

A fantastic hike with incredible views and smells! I will have to go back.