Appalachian National Scenic Trail Fontana Lake to Mount Squires

Appalachian National Scenic Trail Fontana Lake to Mount Squires is a 31.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Townsend, TN that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

The Smokeys, on my Thru-Hike, better known as the Suckes. The weather was less then ideal, rained sideways, cold less the snow. Pushed through them in 5 days instead of my planned 7. Loved IT! I'll hike them again, one day & that's not dependent on the weather. Great Views, if you could see them. Swirling clouds around Charlies Bunion and the weather broke on my last day.

Hiked from Fontana Dam to Waterville over 5 days back in the '70s. The views were spectacular! In a few years, right after I retire, I intend to continue at Waterville and go all the way to Maine.

This is a once in a lifetime experience!!! (Although I have done it a couple times) I left my car at Fontana Dam and got a ride to the north end. Wish I had brought a camera because it is a beautiful trail. Last time I was too early in the season for the blueberies and rhotodendrums but the views, nature, wildlife and the whole atmosphere is beauiful. My calves burned most of the way but other than that the trip was a joy. I must say that when I finally arrived at Fontana Dam I spent three nights in the motel and enjoyed their wonderful restaurant.

We hiked the portion from Hughes Gap to Cumberland Gap. We spent the first night in the old rangers cabin at Roan High Knob. It was a beautiful, amazing experience. I would love to do another portion of the trail when time and "life" allows.

We hike from Davenport Gap to Fontana Dam 72 Miles 5 days, other than alot of rain it was a great hike. The blue berries down from Spence Field Shelter hit the spot after 4 days of trail food. A must do!!!