Amber's Den Ridge Trail

Amber's Den Ridge Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Sparta, TN that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from January until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Amber's Den Ridge trail is 5 miles out and back located in Sparta, TN near Virgin Falls. Trail is good for all skill levels. There is an option to loop back to the trail head via gravel road. Wooded trail, creek crossing, and overlook of the Caney Fork River at Welch's Point. Amber's Den Ridge Line Trail is a new trail that is wooded, mostly following a creek with the pinnacle being the overlook at Welch's Point. This trail is located inside a Wildlife Management Area. Please check with the TWRA at http://www.tn.gov/twra/wmas.html for rules and regulations. Area is generally closed during big game season.

Okay.... so my friend and I decided to do Welches Point first since it was really quick and we will never go back. I don't know if it was the 12 mile gravel road, the fact that we didn't see one person anywhere or the fact that we heard funky noises throughout the woods the whole time... but it was creepy. Don't go here alone! And send someone your location to be safe.

Well where do I start! We never found the outlook but we did find a body of water that was at the bottom of the mountain which is a 2 mile drop. The drop is very steep and the incline according to my Fitbit is the same as climbing 73 flights of stairs on the way back up! I would say the trail was definitely moderate to difficult at times. When we finished we had completed 4.17 miles but we went back up the same way we came down! We didn't see any adjoining trails to come back around and if there was any they were not marked! It was a great work out but not much to see! It needs better markings or signage for the way to go for the bluff! I probably won't do it again but I got my 10000 steps in and had fun with my friends! Even the dog was exhausted and kept laying down in the way back up the mountain! Hahah

Great trail. The trailhead is a bit confusing though. When you pull off Welch's Point Rd to the dead end (and park on the side of the "road") you'll notice a sign stating you must go on foot from this point forward. While it would be great if there were a trail sign here denoting Amber's Den Ridge or likewise, it was not to be. Once you begin down the trail you'll soon realize it's an old logging road which you'll follow for close to a mile. Eventually you'll see the trailhead sign directing you to deviate from the logging trail off to the left. This is where this trail truly begins to shine. Beautiful creekside hiking/crossings as well as overlooks and a waterfall. Perhaps the best part of the whole hike is that I didn't see another soul the entire time I was on the trail. I will certainly be visiting again soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can visit Welch's Point without the hike by following the road to its end. A little disappointing but no big deal.

Great

We had a hard time finding this trail. When we found the footpath through the logging area I wasn't sure if it was the correct place, but we just kept walking. Eventually we found the sign for Ambers Den Ridge trail and turned left. The actual trail was very pretty, and lots to see. We found the first overlook, and then turned back. (We didn't realize that wasn't the main overlook, but it had a beautiful view anyway). We will probably go back soon and walk farther to find Welch's Point. Nice hike, but I don't think this is for everyone, I would consider it a moderate trail.

A pretty nice and quick trail with a great view from Welch's Point which can also be driven to via a gravel road. The trail starts out fairly flat via an old access road which is common in this area. On this day in late September high trees and a large, high canopy kept the better part of the hike in shade and there were plenty of cool breezes. As others have mentioned the trail has a very nice creek crossing and a small waterfall can be seen from the trail as it follows the ridge of a gulf. The track I uploaded from this day includes the loop back via the gravel road. There is really nothing to see by returning this way and I suggest going back the way you came unless you want to visit the small roadside Welch's cemetery which has some very old graves including a Civil war veteran grave site. I believe this would make a very nice fall hike and plan on returning once fall colors start to appear.

This is a great trail with a lot of all around hiking. Wet weather creeks, small waterfall, 2 overlooks. The Welch point overlook is one of the most beautiful overlooks I have ever seen. There is also a lot of wildlife on this trail, deer, wild hogs, birds, etc ... I have hiked this trail many times and always a great hike for beginner or veteran hikers. A must do !!

This is a new trail in the Bridgestone/Firestone Centennial Wilderness near Virgin Falls. It is an easy to moderate 5 miles with a couple of steep but short climbs. The trail follows an old 4 wheeler/logging road for about a mile before turning left and following the creek to view cascades and creek crossing. The trail goes up hill near the ridge line going to a gravel area. Go straight across the gravel parking area crossing yellow gate and follow to Welch's Point. There is an option to loop back to trail head via gravel road which is 1.8 miles.