Maddron Bald Trail to Albright Grove Loop

Maddron Bald Trail to Albright Grove Loop is a 6.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Cosby, TN that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

old growth

It was so amazing, and hit the mark of what we wanted. Not too difficult, yet long enough to keep the city slickers away. Saw maybe 20 people over 3+ hrs, none while at the bridge. We found salamanders in the cool streams and loved the old growth.... Kinda surprised in the lack of wildlife, besides squirrels it was like a ghost town. Hoping for some turkeys, deer, or possibly beer but even tracks were sparse. When you can explore without others watching it makes it somehow extra special.

Long upward ascent to the falls and the bridge. Take your time and enjoy the quietness. The trail was nicely maintained but the actual Albright Loop was very narrow and thick with foliage, think deer trail at this point. I was the only person on the trail for three hours and it wasn't til I was almost finished others showed up.

this is a pretty nice trail with a gentle increase in altitude and very well maintained features. you'll see the Willis Baxter cabin and plenty of mushrooms. the intersection with Indian camp creek is a nice place to cool your feet and eat a snack. nice canopy the whole way so you can shelter from sun or rain. my favorite thing about this trail is that it isn't popular. you can be out for 3 or 4 hours and only see a handful of people. enjoy!

Uphill the whole way to the loop. Thick, almost jungle like bush around the trail. The waterfall is worth the thousand foot climb, took us three hours to get there. A nice neighbor let us park in the shade on his lot near the trailhead. Highly recommend.

2 features: old log cabin and river area with bridge.

After yesterday's 14 mile hike to Le Conte Lodge, this hike was easy and a wonderful way to see some of the beautiful old growth. It rained for most of the hike but with so much canopy cover I never sported my rain jacket. I saw so many salamanders, snails, birds, and other wild life.

It's May right now and I got there at 9:30am and saw a total of 3 people on the trail which was a nice change from the more busy popular trails.

steady & even climb to Albright. pretty much just an old service road to Albright.

This was AWESOME in the winter snow! So beautiful! Would definitely recommend. Not a difficult trail but it is mainly uphill. To Albright is 1.2 miles but it feels much longer and supposedly 1.7 miles from the cross path to the bridge. The gps I used on this app showed I was at the bridge when in fact I had about a half mile to go. Also to get to the hike in the first place you take Baxter Rd off 321. For some reason this app takes you to another road in Cosby when using google maps. All and all a great experience just start early enough so you didn't walk back in the dark like we did.

The trail from the trailhead in Cosby to the bridge is a pretty easy, gradual ascension. The trail is pretty wide and flat. It narrowed just a bit and became a little rockier in the path the closer to the top. I didn't go any farther than the bridge, so I don't know what the remainder of the trail is like.

Campsite 29 is a nice site. This trail feels ancient, between the old growth forest and 19th century stone work along the creek. Nice cascades to view as well. Some stream crossings are dicey but great hike in the smokys.

The trail begins at the trailhead just off Baxter Rd and then follows along an old logging road for 2.7 miles. The the trail quickly becomes very narrow and continues to the Albright Grove Loop. There is a stream crossings with a foot log bridge. If anyone has the time, try counting the rings of some of the old downed trees covered with moss. Hundreds of years old. Some really fantastic old growth forest still remaining along the loop. Lots of wildlife and lots of biodiversity - a naturalists dream indeed.

Just close your eyes and imagine what the views must once have been here and everything was so green here. So just imagine! It was worth seeing and another bucket list trail by the wayside

Worth it. Sketchy parking area. Cool old-timey cabins to see. Huge trees to see.

Note that this is mostly an in-and-out hike with a small loop (Albright Grove Loop) at the end. Most of the trail is relatively easy uphill climb on a gravel road. The Albright Grove Loop was much narrower and less maintained but very passable in 9/29/12.

I had a great time on this trail. I started from the trailhead behind jellystone campground, which was great. I hiked to the junction which was a couple miles or so down the trail. I went straight through to the Maddron Bald trail to the start of snake den ridge, where I decided to turn around even though I didn't want it to end. (my family was waiting in camp) I can tell you that once you get past the junction the trail quickly becomes very narrow. I suggest wearing pants because the foliage along the trails will make your legs itch like crazy. Many great stream crossings hiking up, there is a huge trunk of a long dead tree along the way that will really set you back. I also saw Turkey, a Northern Ringneck Snake, several plant species including bee balm.(as beautiful as they were they sure did stink!) also there is an old cabin along the trailhead road. Great trail. Don't miss it.

Absolutely breathtaking! The trail is marked with natural quartz crystal, huge trees, wildlife, medicinal plants, and other wildflowers. Of course, the moss covered crystal can be a bit slippery, so be careful! Truly the most beautiful place I have seen -- so far!