Harney Peak South Dakota Highpoint Trail

Harney Peak South Dakota Highpoint Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Custer, SD that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This granite 7,242 ft mountain lies in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. There is a historic stone firetower at the top that is no longer in use but is open to the public to check out. The trail in to the peak takes you past amazing granite towers rising out of the hills. It is a very unique geological area.

1 hour ago

It was a good hike and a must do for anyone in the vicinity. There are some amazing views from the top and some of the rock formations are breathtaking. The hike itself was easy to moderate, there were people of all ages on the trail. I did get some company for lunch when a mountain goat and her kid showed up and hung around for a bit. I loved the hike but a few too many people around for my liking. I love the seclusion of the wilderness and this was more of a tourist destination. I went during a weekday to avoid as many people as possible but there were still quite a few.

We have done this hike twice and would definitely go back.
Tough but not too tough! Would definitely go back. Lots of landscape and elevation changes.

Very easy trail. We came in on the lakeside and the trail was a total of 6 miles, 3 one way. It's the highest point in South Dakota, and the elevation gain was around 750 ft. Great views from the top. All of the land around is very low, so the view is excellent for taking in all of the black hills and surrounding plains.

Trail was super easy. Took trail #9 to the top and #4 back to trail head. If you've done Estes cone before....this is a walk in the park! We left early, we were second party to show up that morning and five minutes after we got to the top, it poured for 30 minutes and wife "forgot" her rain gear so we were delayed going back down. After the rain cleared and clouds very nice crisp views!

Go on a absolutely clear day. I didn't go the day i wanted to, and man did i miss out. I went ona day that was cloudy and had rained here and there. And when i got to the top I was in the clouds. It was cold! I don't get cold, and i was dressed for the cold, and I was cold. about the last 50 feet of elevation you were in fog, mist, and clouds. Couldn't really see anything from above. when i dropped down the 50 feet of elevation i could see the scenery, which was very beautiful. The overall trail was easy until the last 3/4 of a mile did terrain start to get steep. Great hike, I would do it again.

Great outing. A little of everything. Even hail!

Fun hike, can be difficult based on your skill/fitness level. Last mile or so up is the toughest part of the trip and where you really start your climb. Great views on the way up and from the tower.

Great.

Decent hike up to a fire tower. Very popular trail, almost crowded.. Excellent long range views from the fire tower. Tallest mountain peak between Rocky Mountains and Europe, so that is pretty cool.

Crazy good hike! Good differences in terrain throughout the hike. Worth every step. We hiked the 4 trail into the 9 trail and up to the fire tower. Worth the vast view! Check it out for sure. When you get towards the top (after the last trail split) turn a sharp left when you're able. If you go over the top and start to descend again turn around and head to the top! Once you hit stairs you're almost there!! 4 stars instead of 5 only because I haven't hiked enough yet to see a "5 star hike". It's was nothing but amazing though!!

Difficult hike, but worth every step! Amazing views at the top!

great trail well marked. The tower at the top gives you a great view ,a lot of steps for a good workout.

Great! Last mile to the top is challenging

Great! 20K + steps!!!!

Great hike up and down, my brother and I did the loop and although challenging at the end with all the steps it was worth it. Sat out on top of the boulders at Harney Peak and just took it in. Was amazing.

Going that steep with a 30 lb pack was difficult but It's an incredible hike. Great summit. Some creeks that saved my ass when I ran out of water.